6th grade English

Discussion in 'Sixth Grade' started by dizzykates, Jun 3, 2008.

1. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Jun 3, 2008

What is a 6th grade English job like? What kinds of lessons are you doing? Do you use technology, how? What should I know before getting into a job like this? Thanks!

3. andrea71981

andrea71981 New Member

Jun 4, 2008

Hello! I have been teaching 6th grade English for two years, and I absolutely love it. I usually teach three novel studies per year. I teach the literary elements with these: character, setting, plot, theme, point of view, conflict/resolution, etc. We also do daily journal entries with novels. I also teach a grammar unit, which includes the eight parts of speech, as well as, sentence types (imperative, declarative, exclamatory, and interrogative) and sentence structure (simple, compound, complex, phrases, clauses, etc.) We also teach a lot of writing. I do a unit on narrative, expository, persuasive, and descriptive writing. I love teaching 6th grade English because you can teach so many various topics in all kind of engaging ways! We do a business letter where we write letters to real companies, and the kids almost always get individual responses along with free products! I always try to relate everything we do to the "real world!" If you want any lesson plans or have any further questions let me know, and I can give you my e-mail address! You would LOVE a job like this! As far as technology goes...I use it almost everyday. We make PowerPoints, do Webquests, type our essays, research topics on the Internet, etc. My county also has Interactive Whiteboards, which are fabulous!

4. Writer02

Writer02 Companion

Jul 2, 2008

Ditto... what andrea said. I'm in Virginia and we have the same types of resources. I use my smartboard as an overhead projector, TV screen, and computer monitor the whole class can see. We play games like Jeopardy, Who Wants to be a Millonaire, etc. on the smartboard, too. Kids can touch the "buttons" to interact with the board.

I love the curriculum and the age range in 6th grade!:2up:

5. KWLme

KWLme Rookie

Jul 22, 2008

I'd love to be able to use more technology in my classroom. There are so many warm-up activities that support grammar and vocabulary. You're lucky to have the smart board!

6. flowerpower31

flowerpower31 Comrade

Aug 6, 2008

Andrea, if you wouldn't mind sending me lesson plan samples, too, I'd really appreciate it!

flowerpower331 at earthlink dot net

Thank you so much! I like this thread...I'm going for a second interview on Monday for a 6th grade position that would include teaching English to them and possibly to 7th & 8th as well.

7. bigchz13

bigchz13 New Member

Aug 6, 2008

Hi Andrea,

I just got my first teaching job and I will be teaching English to 6th graders at the middle school level. I saw your post and was very interested in what you're teaching your students. We have an open policy at my new school: students are allowed to choose their own books to read. This is very daunting for me because not only is this my first teaching job but I am certified to teach grades 7-12. As for your business letter writing activity--great idea!! I love it and I think that is a lost skill.

If you anything you'd be willing to share with me, I would be much obliged.

8. thoba1215

thoba1215 New Member

Aug 12, 2008

Hi Andrea,

Hope all is well and I am glad to hear that there is a teacher like you out there giving a top notch education to all of her students; I would like to follow in your lead.

I would be much obliged if you could share more with me about you journal entries intitiative, as well as some lesson plans to guide and direct me towards implementing some creative teaching strategies.

My email is karim dot thoba at gmail dot com

9. thoba1215

thoba1215 New Member

Aug 12, 2008

new sixth grade ela teache

Hi Andrea,

Hope you are well and I am happy to hear that there are teachers like you giving their students a top notch education; I would like to follow in your lead.

I will begin this fall and am interested in your journal entries initiatives, as well as other creative strategies. Can you please email me some lesson plans so that I may learn from you. Plus I think I will emulate the business letter approach you have and I am also interested in knowing how powerpoint is useful to you.

My email is karim dot thoba at gmail dot com.

Looking forward to hearing from you and sharing and exchanging ideas!

-Raheema

10. DOBY

DOBY Rookie

Aug 12, 2008

Hi Andrea, the business letter writing to a real company is a great idea, please share that with me. You can email me the lesson plan at
    ifeanyi5@verizon.net.

11. haia.radwan

haia.radwan New Member

Aug 25, 2008

Do you mind sending me some of your lesson plans also? I'm teaching 6th grade English along with a few other classes. However, for my English class, they're having a hard time with writing and reading comprehension. I just feel like the students are not motivated enough for the stories we read. I let them express themselves in their journals. However, when it comes time for literature, I try to get them involved, and I try to relate it to their lives, but they just don't seem too interested.
    I'd love some new ideas! thanks!
    haia.radwan@yahoo.com

12. WW teacher

WW teacher New Member

Oct 13, 2008

Teaching theme

My sixth graders are having a terrible time with them. Was wondering if you would be willing to share any of your lesson plans. We just completed a unit on narrative and are starting persuasive writing this week. I also teach in Georgia, so our standards would be the same.

13. DaniG

DaniG New Member

Dec 3, 2008

Hi there,

I have been teaching 6th grade for almost three years now. Although at times it can be very challenging, it is equally rewarding. Teaching English/Language Arts in 6th grade is a lot of fun. The novel and reading selections are relatable and exciting. Grammer gets a little hard, expecially for the kids. My words of advice - review it yourself either the night or morning before the lesson. Have examples ready, and alternate ways to get the information across.

Good Luck!

14. Santiago1

Santiago1 New Member

Feb 25, 2009

Andrea, I also new to 6th grade English. Could you please e-mail me your lesson plan samples, too, I'd really would appreciate it! Also, if you have any advice for a new teacher I would love to get any suggestions you may have.

lreuss@sbcglobal.net

15. KWLme

KWLme Rookie

Feb 25, 2009

Hi Andrea,

Is it possible for you to send me your business letter lesson plan? It seems very creative and just perfect for 6th grade. My email is pevans@laurelhall.com.

Thank you.

16. Santiago1

Santiago1 New Member

Feb 26, 2009

Good morning,
    It would help me tremendously if you would send me your lesson plans. I have searched the web and feel that your ideas are fresh and energetic, this class (English grammar) would benefit, and I would benefit from your experience. I also like the way you incorporate technology into your lessons. I would like to follow your example! If it’s alright, it would also be great if I could get your e-mail.

Thanks

17. DOBY

DOBY Rookie

Feb 27, 2009

I also teach 6th grade this is my 3rd year and I love it. For grammar, I break it down for the kids e.g when we did the eight parts os speech, I would put them in groups and on the post it of each group I make students write one main idea of anything/story they can think of. Students rotate in groups to add supporting details to different groups main ideas and then they make up a story having the story elements in mind- plot, climax, resolution. The last group determines the theme of the story.The students end up in their initial group, they will then underline whatever part of speech was assigned for the day. I am able to assess a lot of skills with this activity. It last for 45minutes and its worth every minute of it and the kids love it!!

Hope it makes sense kind of sleepy already.:yawn:

18. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jun 26, 2009

I am moving up to 6th grade English/LA this year. Previously I have taught 5th grade, so I already have some idea of which areas my students understand and where they struggle. I was hoping to do a writers workshop format of some sort. I don't think it will be a true writers workshop (I can't give away all the control :) ) but some sort of modified version. I am also thinking of using literature circles with my children since their ability levels vary so much. Has anyone used either of these methods with 6th graders? What are some tricks you learned to make things run more smoothly? I can just see some of my kids getting behind because either they are that disorganized or simply don't want to do the work and therefore "forget". This would be a huge problem with the literature circles especially.

19. KWLme

KWLme Rookie

Jun 26, 2009

This is my third year in 6th, previously teaching 3rd for four years and kinder for 5 years. As one would expect, each year in the same grade level I become more comfortable - and I really enjoy this age. Anyway, in your post you mentioned organization. Let me tell you, this is a BIG issue in 6th grade, especially if the students are moving to a middle school environment. It is well worth the time and energy to spend time on study skills, expectations, and middle school survival the first few weeks of school - it will pay off in the end. If the student haven't already been using planners, this is the time to get them started along with teaching them how to budget their time between school, homework, and after school activities. I have opted to store certain student items in my classroom between class usage. For instance, composition and writing notebooks. Good Luck - I'm sure you are going to enjoy 6th.

20. englishgrade6

englishgrade6 New Member

Aug 15, 2009

Hi Andrea,

I am beginning my teaching career this coming school year. Like you, I will teaching sixth grade English. I was wondering what novels you read with your students. I was also wondering if you could suggest some appropriate, grade-level short stories for my students? Many, many thanks!

21. KWLme

KWLme Rookie

Aug 17, 2009

6th Grade Literature

I like Jerry Spinelli. In my class we read "Eggs," but I know many teachers use "Maniac Magee" or "Stargirl." We read a book to go along with the history curriculum (Ancient History) titled "The Adventures of Ulysses," which is a middle school version of "The Odyssey." Each year we read a classic. For the past two years I've used "Peter Pan." I had tried "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court," but it was too hard for 6th grade. (The 7th grade reads "Tom Sawyer.") At the end of the year we read "Throwing Shadows" by E.L.Konigsburg - this book is five short stories. I also use poetry through-out the year.

Other books that I've heard that 6th grade teachers use are: "The Cay," "The Egypt Game," "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe," and "Roll of Thunder." If you do a google search for recommended 6th grade literature, you'll get many ideas. I have gone on the public library website, the scholastics website, and of course the A-Z website.

Good luck this year! It's a funny age to teach.

22. Researcher

Researcher Rookie

Sep 7, 2009

I've been teaching 6th for over 5 years, and love it.

In terms of classroom management/procedures/organization, I'd highly recommend Wong's "The First Days of School" for any grade teacher.

For curriculum methods, I'd highly recommend the book, "In the Middle" for any ELA middle school teachers. The methods Atwell uses are pretty easy to incorporate, and made a world of difference. My students became "readers" and "writers" by the end of the year.

23. englishnewbie

englishnewbie New Member

May 23, 2011

Hi Andrea,
    I will be teaching 6th grade english next year and would love any tips you are willing to share. Which novels are you doing?

24. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 23, 2011

For those that are asking Andrea for tips, please send her a private message or start a new thread. dizzykates started this thread asking a specific question.

25. NYTeacher83

NYTeacher83 Rookie

Jun 12, 2011

Grade 6 ELA

Best of luck as you start on this wonderful journey! 6th grade ELA is an absolutely amazing experience! My first three years were in 4th grade, and it was a struggle. Last year, I transferred to 6th grade, and this year was awesome!

My school divides the ELA program up into two classes. My co-teacher teaches the reading portion of the program. She does a lot of literature studies, strategies, and she incorporates a lot of projects that use technology.

I teach the writing portion of the program. My class for the first half of the year is structured as a workshop, where the students explore and learn about writing. The second part of the year is a lot of student-centered work.

These are the topics I teach:
    - The Writing Process
    - Proper paragraphing
    - The academic essay
    - Newspapers
    - Maniac Magee literature study
    - Poetry (throughout the year)
    - Grammar (ongoing)
    - Folktales and fairytales

It's a jam packed year, but it's great. Looking forward to tweaking things to align to the new common core standards! We're not even on summer vacation yet!

26. miss_mac24

miss_mac24 New Member

Jun 15, 2011

I am a first year teacher, and I was also just hired to teach 6th grade English. I am pretty excited, but like many others who have posted, I am looking for ideas to get started. Anyone have suggestions for books to read?

27. lowes48

lowes48 Companion

Jun 25, 2011

this sounds great! I know you wasnt talking to me, but I will teaching 6th grade English this year, and I am very excited and nervous at the same time. Any info. you can send me would be greatly appreciated. :haha:

28. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jul 10, 2011

NYTeacher - how do you fit it all in? How much time do you have kids for class? I would love any info you can share with me.;):thanks:

29. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jul 10, 2011

Hey Dizzy!
    I use a lot of power point 'games' which I project, I use my overhead a lot too - although few consider that technology anymore. Scholastic has a writing program that I like to use.
    ELA includes reading, vocabulary, spelling, writing/grammar so there is a whole lot to fit in there. Timing it all is tough.
    Best of luck getting your teaching position.

30. NYTeacher83

NYTeacher83 Rookie

Jul 14, 2011

My classes are 42 minutes each day. Grammar mini-lessons are taught at first. Then over the next few weeks, I use bell ringer questions to check their understanding of the grammar topic.

The rest are unit plans. I try to spiral what I've taught and bring back the ideas into units I'm currently teaching. It's definitely a busy year, but it's very rewarding to see the progress they make!