6th grade ELA and SS

Discussion in 'General Education' started by nstructor, Feb 2, 2022.

1. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Feb 2, 2022

Advice please-I've always only taught ELA but next may have to teach SS too. I'm really worried. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Feb 2, 2022

I taught most of my 8th grade ELA curriculum through social studies topics. It was really easy to incorporate the two.

miss-m, Chocolaccino and nstructor like this.
  4. Chocolaccino

Chocolaccino Rookie

Feb 7, 2022

I agree! ELA and SS are such a good match for cross-curricular planning. What is the focus of grade 6 SS where you are located? I can make some more specific suggestions of daily tasks and project-based assessments based on your curriculum.

5. creativemonster

creativemonster Cohort

Feb 17, 2022

current HS ela teacher. When I started I taught 6th grade ela and ss - (two seperate classes, but can overlap projects as same rosters) my partner teacher taught same kids for math and science. If I remember correctly it was "ancient civilizations" and the text book covered units. The only one I remembered from my 6th grade days was Ancient Egypt, but overall I really enjoyed the units, and they lent themselves to some pretty cool projects. I found ton of materials and project ideas on line because social studies teachers are amazing! What grade(s) will it be, do you know?

6. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Feb 18, 2022

Thanks to both of you. Sixth grade curriculum is sources, human geography, religions, economices, and ancient civilizations.