6th grade at your school - what's it like?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Mrs.Gould, Jun 9, 2007.

1. Mrs.Gould

Mrs.Gould Comrade

Jun 9, 2007

I was just hired as a 6th grade teacher for next year. I previously taught 6th grade English at another district during the 05-06 school year. I have not yet been told was subject(s) I will be teaching. How is 6th grade in your school? Is it still elementary or is it middle? Is 6th grade self-contained or departmentalized? I live in the Southern Tier of NY (close to the PA border) and the districts here are all very different. Most consider 6th grade middle school and departmentalize but I do know of one school that does not and a couple schools where 6th grade is still in the elementary building. I'm just curious to see how it is in different areas!

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 9, 2007

In the district I teach at our schools go up to 6th grade. At my last school district I taught at, which is only 15 minutes away, went up to 5th.

When I was in elementary school, I was still in elementary school when I was in the 6th grade. Personally, this was my most favorite grade. I loved the subjects and my teacher. And honestly, I was not ready to be in middle school yet. I've always been a kid at heart and needed that extra year to grow up. But, I know of others who hate working at a school that goes up to 6th. They say that these kids are monsters and need to be in middle school. I've only substituted in a 6th grade class. I didn't have any problems. Whoops. I've rambled on and on. But, that's what it's like where I live.

4. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jun 9, 2007

In my former middle school, 6th grade was part of the middle school and had been for over twenty years. Departmentalized, 40-minute classes, shop, home ec, lockers, PE, just the same as the 7th and 8th grade.

Most of them were ready for it. There were always a few immature kids who were overwhelmed but they got over it quickly.

Some of the inclusion kids went bonkers for a while but most of the time they came around, too.

They had to. Most people find they CAN do things if they have to.

5. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jun 9, 2007

It varies greatly around me. Most schools are K or PK to 5th. Some are PK/K to 4th. The k-4 schools have a 5-6 campus and a 7-8campus with HS starting with 9th grade. The k-5 schools either have a 6th grade campus, a 7-8 and HS at 9th or 6-8in one school. I can't think of anywhere around here that goes up to 6th except smaller private schools.

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 9, 2007

My private school is K-8. 6th grade is departmentalized. 5th graders go out for science, but I wouldn't call it departmentalized.

7. historybuff91

historybuff91 Companion

Jun 9, 2007

In East Islip New York (Southern Long Island), sixth grade is in the middle school and has departments. We used to have the sixth graders in elementary school up until last year.

8. Teacher2Be2007

Teacher2Be2007 Companion

Jun 9, 2007

In our district 6th grade is considered middle school and is departmentalized, however, the schools here are K-8 so there is no "middle school" they are still in an elementary building.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 9, 2007

My school runs from grades 6-12. While the 6th graders are the "little kids", they are very much part of the high school.

They have a homeroom, lockers in the hall outside, 7 classes, a study hall and lunch period each day. They take cumulative trimester and final exams (although the exams for the 6-8th graders are shorter than those for the older kids: 60 minute trimester (vs. 90) and 2 hour finals (vs 3 for the HS kids.)

Many of the teachers teaching our middle school kids also teach the HS kids, so they're treated in much the same way.

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 10, 2007

Most of our elementary schools are K-8. The 7s and 8s have more rotary in their schedule than the younger students do.

11. elem_teacher3

elem_teacher3 Companion

Jun 10, 2007

I teach at a private school prek thru 12. Our 6th graders are in middle school (6th-8th).