6th grade advice needed

Discussion in 'Sixth Grade' started by gillianvt, Aug 24, 2007.

1. gillianvt

gillianvt Rookie

Aug 24, 2007

Hi, I'm certified up to 2nd grade and have been teaching preschool previously. I have an interview on monday for 6th grade. Any advice, what should I expect? I've seen a list of books that people have recommended however, is there one that I should talk about in the interview if he asks for my favorite? I know I liked Island of the Blue Dolphins and Bridge to Terabithia growing up. I think I would be teaching all subjects but not sure. Thnaks for your words of encouragement.

3. Mrs.Gould

Mrs.Gould Comrade

Aug 24, 2007

Hi there! One of the things I would expect going into the interview is to be asked about classroom management. While this is something that is usually asked of in every interview for all levels, be sure to think about what you would do in 6th grade since in many schools, 6th is the beginning of middle school.

Just out of curiosity, how are you able to teach 6th if you are only certified to 2nd? Is it for a private school?

Side note - I also teach in NY but I'm in the Binghamton area.

GOOD LUCK!!!

4. gillianvt

gillianvt Rookie

Aug 24, 2007

Thanks for the advice. It is a public school. Not sure if I will be able to work it out with my certification but he said come in anyways to interview. I've applied for my certification to 6th grade and just need to take 3 courses I think.