6th Grade Advanced Math Class in Middle School

Discussion in 'Sixth Grade' started by math/sci6, Jul 29, 2009.

1. math/sci6

math/sci6 Rookie

Jul 29, 2009

Does anyone teach or have a 6th grade advanced math class at their school? (I guess you could consider it a 6th grade honors class)

In our class we will be using the same 6th grade math text as other 6th grade classes.

Just curious if anyone has any ideas or has taught a class like this...:thanks:

3. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Jul 29, 2009

We have it at our school. To be honest, it wasn't really advanced. It was basically just on-grade level. The "regular" classes are a bit below where they should be. We used the same text - Connected Math (I don't like it much) - and the "advanced" group went through it a little faster, sometimes a little more in depth, and did one or two more projects. Not a lot of differences.

4. math/sci6

math/sci6 Rookie

Jul 30, 2009

Thanks for your reply!

Sounds similar to what ours may end up being...

I'm hoping to create a course that is truly challenging for these kids - it may be a tough job since we will be using the same 6th grade text. Think I am going to use lots of outside resources to get the job done.

We shall see.... :)

Thanks again!

5. Ms. T

Ms. T Rookie

Jul 30, 2009

I taught both regular and advanced math the past two years. The text I used was also the same for both levels. While the concepts and skills were the same, I used more challenging activities for the advanced students and they went into the content at a greater depth. I also incorporated enrichment activities using ideas I found on the web.

6. Dynamite Boys

Dynamite Boys Companion

Jul 31, 2009

Do the kids have to test in to your advanced/honors class or do they just get to select it? At our school, they have to test in to the class. We take all students test results (from both middle schools in the city, not just our own) and the top 5% of students get selected to be in Advanced Math.

In 6th grade, the advanced math class uses a different version of the 7th grade text. 7th grade advanced math uses a different version on the 8th grade text. 8th grade advanced math uses the high school algebra book. This way if a student chooses to not continue in advanced math, he/she will not have to do the same text book the next year. We then test the students at the end of 6th grade. All those currently in Advanced Math get to continue and again we look at the top 5% of students in the city. Typically we add 2 or 3 students per year. The same thing continues throughout Middle School. Also, if a student receives a "C" in advanced math for two consecutive quarters, he/she is removed from the program and put in the regular math class. (This is in the "contract" they sign in order to be placed in the class - both parent/guardian and student must read and sign)

By maintaining scores and only allowing the top 5%, there are often some (not many, but some) upset parents. However, it's a firm number that we choose and parents are not able to put their student in the class if their score doesn't meet the cut.

7. Lives4Math

Lives4Math Comrade

Aug 3, 2009

We have one...I don't teach it though. The students in that class take 7th grade math. My school is kind of weird though. Regular 6th grade students take 6th grade Math. Advanced 6th graders take 7th grade math. Regular 7th graders take 8th grade math and I'm not sure what the advanced 7th graders take.

8. math/sci6

math/sci6 Rookie

Aug 4, 2009

Thank you everyone for your replies! :) It is so helpful to hear your opinions/procedures at your individual schools.

School is starting up shortly so I will do my best with what I have and what tips you have shared to appropriately challenge my kidlets! Have a great school year!

Dynamite Boys -
    The kids will be placed into this "advanced" 6th grade Math by their 5th grade teacher. It is based only on their performance throughout 5th grade. This is the first year for this course at our school so we will be playing it by ear the first year. (A lot of this is trial and error!)(Hearing everyone's input definitely helps me develop this course for our school!)

These "advanced" 6th graders will go to 7H (if they still qualify with grades at the end of the year). In 7H they use a completely different book than 7CP so I am thinking I will take some concepts/lessons from the 7CP book and use those in my class. Although, there may be some repeat if they take 7CP (sounds like something you have avoided with the separate text.)

Thank you again for your help! Have a great school year!

9. Panthers

Panthers New Member

Jun 5, 2010

Math Contracts

We are in the process of establishing advanced math classes for grades 6 through 8 and we would like examples of course contracts. I would appreciate it if you could give us an example of the contract that you use. Thank you