6th and 8th SS - Together!?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by FourSquare, Aug 12, 2015.

1. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Aug 12, 2015

Due to budget and scheduling constraints, I have a special education class with 6th and 8th graders together. (Don't ask! :eek:) The subject is Social Studies. Considering the curriculum is totally different between both grades, I can basically do whatever I want. How do you think I should proceed? I don't have any textbooks. Honesty, some other sped teachers just stick the kids on computers or something...I'd like to take an honest shot at ACTUAL Social Studies...just not sure where to start!

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Aug 12, 2015

I'd start by looking at what sorts of things could be done together... if you're doing a research project, you could be doing lessons with both, even if the actual projects are different. I'm sure there's some sort of a geography component to both grades, so see if you can do that together.

After you've found all the possible units that could be done together, I'd plan on just teaching two classes in one... do a lesson with one group while the other is doing independent work. Depending on the length of time you have to work, you could either alternate by day, or try to work with both groups on the same day. Not ideal, but probably the best you can do. If you have access to computers, you could find good curriculum resources... videos, reading passages, etc., and leave them for the kiddos to use while you aren't with them. Do you have access to anything like Blackboard or Google Apps, where you could have a daily assignment?

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2015

I would do the same as gr3teacher; it's what I do whenever I have a split grade (more often than not).

5. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2015

^^^ Very common here too; MS SPED teachers - self-contained or not - often teach all three grades or a mix of at least two at once.

6. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2015

I have about 75 history activities on my site that are not content specific (and are free) . You could certainly use them with some crossover. It likely won't work every day but it is a start.

www.mrroughton.com

7. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Aug 12, 2015

Thank you!

I have had splits before...but they are usually 6/7 or 7/8. I'm a little thrown this year by the 6/8. Plus, I have 6/7 for language arts and math, and a straight 6th science. :dizzy:

I got a little spoiled last year with only 2 grades and 3 subjects!