67 degrees is not room temp

Discussion in 'General Education' started by jday129, Jan 12, 2010.

1. jday129

jday129 Comrade

Jan 12, 2010

In cost saving measures, the district has decided to turn down the heat. Official room temp is 67 in the middle of the room. That seems a little too chilly for my taste, but it gets worse.
    They turn off the heat at 2:00. Students leave at 2:30 and the little heat there is goes out the front door with them. Yesterday we were required by contract to stay til 4 ( I usually stay much later anyway). Every teacher had their coat on for our staff meeting.
    The district is desperate to get scores up, but they have made it too cold to concentrate especially after school for planning.

3. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jan 12, 2010

Trust me, it is easier to warm up than to cool down, and it would be much worse if you were stuck in an overheated, stuffy room.

Plus, germs thrive in warm air, so you will be less likely to get sick right now.

Wear layered clothing and move around as much as possible. That should help.

4. cmgeorge626

cmgeorge626 Companion

Jan 12, 2010

Easier said for those of us that live in TX rather than OH!

So sorry about having to freeze your tooshie off! Hang in there!

5. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jan 12, 2010

Think how cold those little kids are!

Buy some Cuddle Duds, wear more layers, send home notes to parents, and tell them to dress their kids warmer.

I hate being cold.

6. kidsandpups

kidsandpups Companion

Jan 12, 2010

I WISH my room was 67 degrees! It was 48 yesterday in the morning and by dismissal had warmed up to 56!

7. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jan 12, 2010

I don't think the 67 is so unreasonable, I keep my house at 68. But when you have a mandatory meeting it would be nice if they left the heat on for that. The layered look will be your new favorite fashion statement :).

8. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Jan 12, 2010

I worked at a school that kept the building at 78 because the principal's mother taught there and she was cold natured. I prefer the 67! She can put on more clothes, but I can only take off so much! :)

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jan 12, 2010

I would love to be at 67 degrees!

I actually refuse to let them turn on the heat in my room. They'll turn it on 70, and by the time I get my kids in there we can't breathe. I'll have windows open and fans on.

In the summer they keep the air on 72, and that's WAY too warm with 30 bodies in there . . . especially last year when all those warm bodies were teenage boys. They are stinky!

I layer. There are hot and cold spots in the building, so I'm always in layers. I put on or take off as needed.

(My home "room temperature" is 62 in winter and 68 in summer.)

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 12, 2010

67's good for me, I don't get cold easily at all & I'd rather have it a little too cold than too hot. If it's too cold, I'll always have a sweater on hand.

11. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Jan 12, 2010

67F? That is about 19.5 C which over here is prettyy close to what we would call room temp (20-22C). In the Uk there is a minimum temp of 16C, below that and we could (in theory) send the kids home. Alas that would never happen,we would let the kids keep their coats on!

12. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jan 12, 2010

Since my roomies keep the temp at 60 at home (argg) 67 would be tropical. haha. I don;t know if there is much you can do about the school day, but cutting off the heat and then requiring to stay is unacceptable imo. I would talk to a union rep. I know at my old school they would sweat us out in the spring, saying they were cutting costs by lowering the AC, etc, and then you would walk into the office and it would be arctic. That stinks of elitism to me. Winter would be the same - nice and cozy in the office but frigid in the classrooms. We brought it up in a union liaison and it helped.

13. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Jan 12, 2010

I don't think that 67 is too cold. My room is in the 70's most days and I have the windows wide open!
    My house is kept at 64...so I would be fine with 67....however, the heat should be on until people leave the building!

14. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 12, 2010

I'm with the others that say I would be okay with 67, but turning the heat off before your contract leave time is totally unacceptable. I would call the union if you have one.

15. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Jan 12, 2010

I don't know what age the building is, but in the schools I attended and that I taught in, a setting at 67 would mean the room would be a lot colder overall. There are some really cold drafts!! I can only imagine how cold it got after they turned off the heat.

16. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Jan 12, 2010

Could you buy one of those small plug in heaters to keep under your desk while you are sitting at it working and wear your jacket and layers when you can't sit by the heater? You could also get a bigger heater to warm the room? Sry to sound like a downer but I am hot natured so it might feel good to me; or else wear my jacket all day. we have those temp boxs like hotels do and you can make it colder or warm by flipping a switch. Usually I freeze the kids. I say thats why you have a jacket.

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 12, 2010

68 is considered room temp around here.

And most schools I know turn off the heat before the school day ends, on the assumption that the building, especiallly classrooms fairly full of kids, will retain the heat.

18. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jan 12, 2010

The big issue to me is the thermostate. Even it you set it to 67, is it really 67. I would have a thermometer next to the thermostate to verify. I did that once, and the variation was freezing us out.

19. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jan 12, 2010

I love cold weather! We set our thermostat @ 65 during the night. We set it @ 62, while we are @ work. Ugly stays inside because of the cold weather. He has fur, so he's fine.:D
    You can always add on clothes, BUT if it gets too hot, YOU can't run around showing your butt:eek:. Well! :blush:In public, that is.
    Rebel1

20. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 12, 2010

I would MUCH rather be too warm than too cold. I just want to ball up and do nothing when I am cold. And, for the record, I think 67 degrees is too cold, and although I know other districts do it, I think it is disrespectful to teachers and janitorial staff members to turn off the heat while they are still working.

21. SunnyReader

SunnyReader Companion

Jan 12, 2010

today my room was 57!!!! it was cold, but not 'put your jacket on' cold. with 37 kids in there, it warms up quickly.

22. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 12, 2010

My room is always set around 65. I don't think it is really 65, especially with all of the body heat of 12 prepubescent children and one pregnant teacher :D.