6 traits in Kindergarten?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by map, Oct 23, 2009.

1. map

map Companion

Oct 23, 2009

Our district is forcing us to use 6 traits in all grade levels. I am finding it difficult for Kindergarten especially now this early in the year. Is anyone else required to use this program in K and how our you getting started? Right now I am only reading literature books to them pointing out certain traits. I would appreciate any suggestions.

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 23, 2009

We are required to use this and I'm just as dumbfounded as you are. :)

Right now though I am just concentrating on the first trait. Writers have ideas. I choose books that have really creative ideas in them and we talk about how writers don't necessarily talk about the same things all the time. They have wonderful creative varied ideas. The writer in this story's ideas were about.... In this story, the author took a different approach, etc. We eventually read "Goodnight Moon" and applied the idea that the author was saying goodnight to a lot of different things (other than just people). Then they made their own goodnight poems. The focus was on them being able to expand the idea of writing and not just say what was in the book and not just say goodnight to people.

I do not have the book but I have heard about a book called "Wee Can Write" that uses children books to teach writing traits (ie, has ready made lesson plans). I can't vouch for it, but I have considered it.

It is so hard to teach writing when the kids are still working on identifying letters and letter formations.