6 more weeks...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by scienceteach82, Mar 25, 2010.

1. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Mar 25, 2010

wow...

time has really gone by since I first found out that I was having twins...omg...

The baby shower went much, much better than expected. Luckily my mom behaved..haha. My Dad really liked his family. He and his dad talked all day. I'm glad they got along so much.

I've been fairly healthy this whole pregnancy until the 2 days before my baby shower. Now I have a cough that won't go away. Taking cough meds (approved)...but I still wake up coughing all night. Nurse just said to keep an eye on it, and wait it out...um...thanks. Been having LOTS of BH contractions. Seems like last night they were never ending due to some last minute stomach problems which made me lose my dinner...all night and today :(
    I guess just dehydration. Nurse said...drink more water. Well..duh.

So I thought my twins were fraternal...which in all likelihood they are...but for whatever reason I didn't know that if the egg splits and identical twins are formed (in the first 48 hours)...they can be in different sacs and placentas like mine are. So now I'm interested in what they will look like. As a science person...I feel kinda dumb I didn't know that...lol.

Alright...now my question...
    How many diapers do babies go through a day on average? I was hoping to get more diapers...but no clue what sizes to get. I don't know how long they will be in the newborn stage vs stage 1. I want to make sure I have enough to get me through a few weeks since I doubt I'll be able to leave the house...especially if I have c-section. Yes, BF would help...as would my mom...but I like to be prepared. I do have some cloth diapers just in case I run out of disposable one day on accident.

Also...which brand worked best for your baby?

3. janlee

janlee Devotee

Mar 25, 2010

I used cloth diapers on my boys. Since I was home I figured there was no reason not to run the washer and dryer. (in nice weather I hung them outside to dry) All I know is that I saved a ton of money. I did, though, use Pampers when going out for an extended period of time. I couldn't use Huggies as one of my sons broke out from them.

4. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Mar 25, 2010

Isn't it amazing how quickly time goes by? You are doing great with only 6 weeks left = keeping those twins nice and healthy with more time to grow and mature.

I would say 6-8 diapers a day each (but newer moms probably have a better idea.) Just try not to buy too many newborn sizes of anything - many people get too much and they grow so quickly! Yours may be a little smaller due to being twins but not necessarily - someone I knew gave birth to 8 lb twins - her doctor let her go 2 weeks overdue! Talk about huge - 16 pounds of babies!

I did cloth for my last ones but I think that might be rather daunting with twins.

Anyway, good luck - keep up the good work!

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 26, 2010

I loved Huggies. For some reason, Pampers always leaked with my kids.

Also, if there's a BJs near you, or a Target, both their house brands worked well with my kids but were a LOT cheaper!!!

Right now, ask everyone you know to start saving diaper coupons for you (formula too, if there's any chance you're going that route.) The Sunday papers always carry them, and they make a HUGE difference!!!

Also, go online to the manufacturers of diapers and formula. Most have a new mom program and will forward you samples &/or coupons. Any you don't use can be donated to charity, or held on to in case of an emergency.

This should get you started:
    http://similac.com/baby-formula/?ut... advance coupon&utm_campaign=2010 Prime- Save

http://www.enfamil.com/app/iwp/enfa...c=paid search-_-Premium-_-Google-_-Expert2010

http://www.huggieshappybaby.com/offers/index.aspx?WT.mc_id=HGG&WT.srch=1

https://www.pampers.com/en_US/signup

6. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Mar 26, 2010

Everytime you go to Walmart or Target, just buy a pack of diapers. So long as the diapers are unopened, you can return them for a larger size. By the time my little girl was born we had 6 packs of 1s, 5 packs of 2s, 4 packs of 3s, 4 packs of newborns, and 2 packs of premies. The premies were bought after she was born since she was only 5 lbs.

7. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Mar 26, 2010

Thanks for the links, and advice everyone :)

8. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 26, 2010

morning st how r u feeling today?

9. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Mar 26, 2010

Oh please keep us posted! You are doing very well!

My twins are identical and we had two sacks and placentas!
    6 lbs 7 oz
    7 lbs 4 oz
    35.5 weeks
    Because of the difference in size, they were easy to tell a part at first. Now, they are exactly the same in everything right down to the day their first tooth fell out...and the opposite tooth on each twin! They both do EVERYTHING left and right handed...even at age 6 they have not shown a dominate hand.

All three of my children were in sz 3 and 4 diapers the longest.
    The newborn did not work for us so we used size 1 even though they were large.

10. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Mar 26, 2010

It is amazing how fast...and slow!...time has gone! I second the suggestion to start buying diapers. You can also order them online, and I think they are a little cheaper. diapers.com-they have formula too. I have only bought one pack of newborn diapers, but my girls were both bigger and this one probably will be too-your girls will likely be smaller. I hoarded the diapers they had at the hospital-heehee-and took home whatever I could. I'm sure I paid for them, but it helped.

DOn't worry about the c-section. I bet you'll feel better than you think. It it hard to get out of bed for the first couple of days, but it gets better fast. Have you had surgery before? Definitely stay as long as they will let you-both girls were born on a Tuesday, and I stayed til Friday. By the weekend I was getting around pretty good. It hurts, don't get me wrong, but you get used to it because the baby just needs you to!

I got a date scheduled today-May 27. I was hoping for a little earlier than that, so I could be home for Memorial Day, and it still could be. But I feel pretty good that there is actually a date! 8 weeks for me!

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 26, 2010

Along the lines of being prepared:

No one ever told me I would need "hospital style" maxi pads after giving birth. You will. Get them ahead of time.

12. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Mar 26, 2010

Good call Alice-it's not one of the "fun" parts of having a baby, but very necessary. And NOT something that a guy would appreciate running to the store for! That's also something I hoarded in the hospital.

We've probably discussed this before, but you might want to start making and freezing meals too. A few pans of lasagne in the freezer can be a lifesaver when you're tired!

But don't feel like you're going to be confined to the house for days and days. The weather will be nicer, and while you probably don't want to be carting 2 newborns to the mall, a walk or a quick trip to the store won't be too bad. It'll actually be good for you!

13. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Mar 26, 2010

I'm thinking about getting some Depends...really...it was suggested at one of my meetings.

jaime- feeling better today...worked at the auto show and just sat in a chair the whole time handing out pamphlets...lol...easy $100

Rabbit- That's really neat!

kc- 5/27 is my original due date...lol

yeah...not really feeling the whole taking the babies out by myself to the mall...ack...lol
    I'd love to take them out for a stroller ride (yay for snap and go)...but would have to drive over to my parents area b/c this area is sooo bad. Heard gun shots AGAIN the other night...bf claims to never hear them....yet hates when I go by myself to take the trash out...ha

I will be freezing meals...and getting a whole lot of those frozen meals you throw in a crock pot. Luckily my parents love to cook, and will bring food too. I actually have a lot of people to bring me stuff. Didn't realize it until the baby shower. Crazy....but grateful :)

14. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Mar 26, 2010

I have about 5 friends that used Depends after their C-sections and they said it was way better than pads.

15. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Mar 26, 2010

My b-day is May 27 seems to be very popular this year :) congrats!!

16. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Mar 26, 2010

lol, deedee ;)

17. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 27, 2010

WAIT pads. If I get pregnant I have to use pads. What else have you guys not shared.

ST glad things are going so well.

18. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Mar 27, 2010

Only for a few weeks, if that Jaime. I've heard of 6 weeks after birth, but personally, I only needed them about 2 weeks. I don't know if there is a difference with c-section and regular.

What a topic! :lol:

19. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Mar 27, 2010

My best friend is expecting her first child in May. I can't wait to buy cute little girl clothes for her! Have you thought about any names? That's the first thing I always ask people.

20. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 27, 2010

TWO WEEKS! WHAT ok you guys are really freaking me out. And I'm not even pregnant yet. I was thinking two to three days would be bad.

21. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 27, 2010

My best friend is expecting her first child in August. She is also having a girl. I think she is naming her Winter. At least that was the last name I heard her mention. I have already started buying girl clothing. We just found out a week ago what she is having haha.

22. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Mar 27, 2010

Both my c-sections went quite well.
    I had little to no pain in the wound itself.

Yes, I wore depends for a week after delivery and then pads for about 2 additional weeks.

One thing no one really told me was that I had to teach my newborns to nurse. Any other mammal comes out and feeds!
    But I guess they also walk, and have shorter lives and smaller brains. :lol:

23. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Mar 27, 2010

As for names...you will say them together and often no matter how hard you try not to.
    Mitch and Jack

Friends used Paige and Claire. I like how that looks and sounds!

24. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Mar 27, 2010

I would think she'd pick the name Summer!

25. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 27, 2010

haha Teach. She loves winter.

26. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Mar 27, 2010

Alexis and Aliyah...but I still want to spell it Alia...seems easier for a kid...but I suppose there are more complicated names out there.

27. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Mar 27, 2010

Alia is a better spelling...or Aleah?