6-7-8 Math AND Science teacher HELP!

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by wanttobeateache, Jun 25, 2015.

1. wanttobeateache

wanttobeateache New Member

Jun 25, 2015

Hello Everyone
    I have taught HS for the last 8 years. I had to leave my old job and my new job is also at a private school, but it is teaching 6-8 math and science. The classes meet everyday! That means 6 classes everyday, maybe one prep a day, science fair and adapting a new STEM program. I am overwhelmed to say the least, and any bit of advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

3. MiamiMathMan

MiamiMathMan Rookie

Jun 30, 2015

I would strongly encourage you to NOT teach the same to the Middle as you HS. You are going to need a lot more hands on activities. I would keep your example problems on the board to about 10-15 minutes if you are teaching them everyday for about 45-60 minutes? They are going to need time in class to show you they grasp the concepts. I find homework to be a poor assessment for most of the ones I teach. Private school could be a little different. I also had to teach almost 50 students, seriously.

I strongly urge you to dig in on TpT, that's Teachers pay Teachers if you are not familiar with the term. I find it a rich source of resources and can save you oodles of time. Many things are inexpensive and even free, even entire curriculum for under $50 I find pretty reasonable vs the hours you will pour in trying to create similar things.

Good Luck!

4. BHSciTeacher

BHSciTeacher New Member

Jul 23, 2015

I was in the same boat last year...

I completely understand how you feel! I taught 4th-8th grade science and a couple of math classes every day last year in a private school, along with the science fair; this was after student-teaching high school. TPT (Teachers Pay Teachers) and Pinterest were my lifelines, they have a ton of resources for middle school for both math and science. Also, look into what resources your textbooks have, especially for science. The series I used gave me some advice for how to teach certain concepts to middle schoolers. Good luck! :) I'm sure you will do great!

5. idiotprogrammer

idiotprogrammer Rookie

Aug 10, 2015