6+1 Traits of Writing

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Jill6, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Jill6

Jill6 Rookie

Jun 24, 2005

Hey...I teach 4th grade and I'm looking for a supplementary writing program. The reading program we use does have writing but it's very weak and I feel like I'm not teaching writing very well. I have seen the 6+1 Traits of Writing books. Has anyone used this program?? Is it good?? How long does it take to implement each day?? I've seen tons of the books...is the "6+1 Traits of writing: The Complete Guide" the book I should start with?? Any other books/programs you can suggest?? Thanks!!

3. Loneil115

Loneil115 Rookie

Jun 24, 2005

Hi! I will have my first teaching job this fall (4th Grade). However, during my student teaching I used Write Source Write Traits student book. The book was brought in by another teacher, so we did not have the teacher's book. At my new district I was very excited to see that they had purchased the kit for each classroom! It is a great program. I believe the classroom kit is about $125. It does include the teachers manual, overheads, sticky-notes, posters and a student book. The student book does have permission to copy, so you only need one. It is a great program, and makes everything so understandable. I am anything but a writing or grammar person, but with this it makes everything so clear. I would strongly recommend it. I have purchesed the 6+1 book that you mentioned, but have not done much with it yet. There is also some helpful sites online, plus try to locate a list of trade books that can be used with each trait. I received one of these lists from my new district as well. If you would like, and can't find one, I can try to scan it in and email it to you. I hope some of this helps.

4. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jun 24, 2005

Jill,

I second what Loneil says about the Write Source books. They are Wonderful. Also, what school are you located in? I am from Covington, se of Atlanta in Newton Co. Congrats on your new room :)

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 24, 2005

Who publishes Write Source books?

6. Loneil115

Loneil115 Rookie

Jun 24, 2005

Great Source Publishing. The writing one that I have is Write Traits.

They also have a great math kit, Every Day Counts. When I first saw it, I thought it was just a calendar kit. I did not understand what a fourth grade class could do with a calendar kit, then I opened it. It is really great. It uses the calendar and other basic elements to reinforce math elements that the students struggle with. The elements focused on each month vary. There is graphing, time, money, multiples, etc focused on. Again the kit is about $150, but well worth every cent in my opinion. I cant wait to start using it in my class.

7. teacher4u

teacher4u Rookie

Jun 24, 2005

I have the 6+1 Traits. I absolutely love what is in it. I went to a training in early May for it and came away very excited. In fact I think training for it should be a must for new teachers or teachers new to the subject. I was new to teaching the writing process last year and felt completely lost. There are great rubric examples that your students can use (they have different levels) and sample student writings. I went back the last two weeks of school and taught to traits, it was literally like turning on light bulbs all over the classroom. I have a power point that the presenter sent to me if I can figure out how to send it I will if any of you would like.

8. Loneil115

Loneil115 Rookie

Jun 24, 2005

YES!! I would love the power point. I want to go to the training that is offered, I just have to convince them that a new teacher needs it. Thanks for any further insight you can provide.

9. teacher4u

teacher4u Rookie

Jun 24, 2005

Your welcome, it may take a few days, I will have to go to my school (which I'm doing tomorrow) and try to send it then. I'll let you know.

10. Jill6

Jill6 Rookie

Jun 24, 2005

Thanks for all the advice everybody! Oh darn...I'll have to go browse the teacher store tomorrow :) Melissa...I teach in Cumming....in Forsyth County...at Big Creek Elementary. The past year was my first year teaching and my first year in GA...what a change :)

11. Jill6

Jill6 Rookie

Jun 24, 2005

Hi...what a great training...I wish my district would offer it!! If you could send the powerpoint, I would love to see it! Thanks!!

12. teacher4u

teacher4u Rookie

Jun 24, 2005

I forgot that it was emailed to me so I can send it if someone in here can tell me how. I think I need an email address though.

13. Jill6

Jill6 Rookie

Jun 24, 2005

Is is to big to be added as an attachment to an email??

14. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jun 24, 2005

Jill,

I know what you mean about Georgia being a big change. I moved here in October 2003 to teach Kindergarten. It was a very challenging rest of the year. But I got through it and had the class from heaven last year in 2nd grade. Hopefully this next year will be as good since I should have an ESL based classroom (@ least 12 students ESL). My nephew and his family lived in Cumming @ one time. They live in Marietta now. Good Luck :)

15. dee

dee Companion

Jun 24, 2005

I just finished a two day workshop on the 6 Traits of Writing. I plan to implement things learned when school starts.

Loneil, we use EDC across our district at the K-5 grade level. It is very educational. There are also Partner Games that go along with the EDC program that is ver beneficial to your students. My problem is finding time to get them done.

16. Loneil115

Loneil115 Rookie

Jun 24, 2005

Jill,
    You wont find Write Source stuff at the teacher store. Search on Great Source Publishing or Write Source, you will find their web site.

Dee,
    Do you like the Partner Games? How do they fit into the EDC? I was also looking at the Practice Counts, do you use them? I have been very impressed with the Great Source materials.

17. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Jun 25, 2005

My school uses the Step up to Writing program. It teaches the kids to write using color coding.

18. Loneil115

Loneil115 Rookie

Jun 25, 2005

I have to make a correction, it is Great Souce Education Group. This is for the Write Traits, Every Day Counts and the other items. The web site is:

Greatsource.com

sorry!

19. dee

dee Companion

Jun 25, 2005

Irissa

One of my professors introduced us to Step Up to Writing and it seems like a wonderful program.

Loneill, Partner Games are used with skills that you are teaching in your classroom. New games are introduced each month. However, if we had learned a skill and the game was to be introduced at a later time then we would introduce that game ahead of time. I did not use the Practice Counts books because the grant in my district to purchase the books ran out in my district. I did find some in my class when cleaning up and I do plan to use them in the upcoming year.

20. LABooks

LABooks Rookie

Jun 27, 2005

Does anyone feel a need to point out to the children that "Write Source" is spelled incorrectly? I'm sure the publishers are trying to be cute and it is a great program. Why couldn't they say "The Writing Source" or "The Right Source for Writing!" While I'm on the topic of misleading things which publishers do, I doubt if there are many kids who can "read between the lines" and understand the "cute" play on words involved in "Reading between the Lions." Does anyone feel that publishers add to spelling problems this way?

21. Loneil115

Loneil115 Rookie

Jun 27, 2005

Dee, Do you think the Practice Counts books are worth me purchasing on my own? A set of five books with the teachers manual would be about $45. The Partner Games are out of my price range unless the district would come through with them. I do not expect that because we have a great set of games that comes with our text. Thank you for the information though.

22. lowrie

lowrie Companion

Jun 27, 2005

We used 6+1 Traits in my Language Arts Curriculum Course at University this year, as a writer myself, I think it's a great program. We also used the Book Write from the Start: Writers Workshop for the Primary Grades by Robin Bright. It was published in 2002 by Portage & Main Press in Winnipeg, Manitoba. You can get information about the book here http://www.uleth.ca/edu/research/lrc/researchers/robin/writefromstart.html and there is a link to order it if you want it.

I think it's a great book, I used some of the activities in it in my grade three student teaching class.

23. Josh

Josh New Member

Jul 13, 2005

I realize this is rather dated, but I am new to the forum. I would appreciate the information about the 6+ Traits

24. cpass

cpass New Member

Oct 31, 2005

Hi- Could I get a copy of that powerpoint? I am searching for a workshop to attend on 6 + 1 Traits. Where did you get trained? Thank you so much!

25. JessicaLM82

JessicaLM82 New Member

Nov 1, 2005

I haven't used the 6+1 Traits however my friend has and she really liked it and it was effective. I actually have an entire unit plan on 6+1 Traits.