5th year subbing, can't get an interview

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by segrigsby, Aug 29, 2014.

1. segrigsby

segrigsby New Member

Aug 29, 2014

Hello,
    So I just started my 5th year of subbing and try as I might, no matter how many districts I apply to I can't get a job. I see all these new teachers starting at the schools I am subbing at and it bms me out because I am wondering what they did that I didn't. Most districts say not to send them anything so I just apply online. I am not a naturally aggressive or outgoing person so it is hard for me to put myself out there and email principals but I will if that's what I need to do. What are some tips you guys have for at least getting an interview. Plus is it pointless now to worry about this stuff until the end of the year?:confused:

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 29, 2014

Have you considered relocating? There probably aren't a whole lot of options near Altoona, IA.

4. segrigsby

segrigsby New Member

Aug 29, 2014

Altoona is a suburb of des moines so we have quite a few districts. I don't plan on relocating.

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 29, 2014

Have you had your cover letter and resume looked at? Perhaps by your college?

I will also add that relocating is not a terrible idea. I moved away for 6 years, and I was very happy. I moved back to be close to family, and I was a lot more successful when job searching this time. I live in a market where the applicants per posting can be 5000-6000 or more.

6. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Aug 29, 2014

So what? I went to grad school in Michigan and between Detroit PS and all the surrounding suburbs, there were plenty of districts but few job opportunities in 2008. The market in SE Michigan was crazy saturated. This is similar to the area were I am from in NJ - lots of districts but the market is swamped.

I chose to move to Maryland because Baltimore City PS was a large district, with lots of teaching opportunities and it paid very well.

You might have to leave your area or keep making that sub pay.

7. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 29, 2014

I think the first thing to do is figure out why you are in this situation. If you are submitting resumes and cover letters, but not getting interviews, then maybe it's because your resume / cover letter need to be updated and rewritten. Somehow they don't catch anyone's eyes to have you come in personally.
    It is possible that your lack of experience (no teaching job) is keeping you back, but 5 years of subbing is plenty of experience. Maybe it's not conveyed properly in your resume.
    Do you have good reference letters?

Maybe your credential area is has way too many teachers, so you might want to add endorsements to make yourself marketable.

Do you talk to the principals of the schools where you're subbing? This sounds silly, but a lot of substitute teacher just want to sub, they don't have credentials and don't want a teaching job, and principals might just assume that. I always told teachers and principals that I had a credential and of course I wanted my own classroom, and few of them were surprised (pleasantly).
    Network, network, network.

8. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 30, 2014

If you're not getting any interviews, look over your cover letter and resume.

Talk to the secretary & P's when you do sub. Let them know that you would like a permanent position. We had a long term sub last year who became our building sub this year. I don't know if she is certified or not.

Remember too, there is at least 1 school in Des Moines that has a school of education, making Des Moines a college town. Those places seem like a harder place to find a position.

Good luck with your search!

9. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

Aug 30, 2014

I always email the principal when I apply for a job. I have seen others on this forum never to do that but I have gotten dozens of interviews that way and even my current job.

If I hadn't emailed my current job, they wouldn't have emailed me back to say they would call me for an interview Thursday and if they hadn't done that, I wouldn't have been able to say that I need to decide on another districts offer before then. They interviewed me that night and offered me the job the next morning.

As a sub, you can write a nice email about their school's culture and how you really want to work there.

10. houseofbooks

houseofbooks Companion

Aug 31, 2014

If you are not getting any interviews, definitely have someone look over your cover letter and resume. Perhaps a university's career center?

Always email principals directly. I have gotten so many interviews by reaching out to principals. I'm convinced that online applications go into a black hole and no one really reads them, hahah.

Don't limit yourself to public school districts. Send your resume to charter and private schools. My position at a local private high school - which has a good reputation - wasn't posted at all. :) I understand that private schools don't always pay the most money, but the salaries are a step up from subbing, for sure, and you can get amazing experience for your resume.

11. joeboo22

joeboo22 Rookie

Aug 31, 2014

The big problem you have is location, they like you as a sub, but you probably don't bring a ton to the picture. So when an opening occurs the Principals can go get someone that bring something to the table because you live in an area where a ton of people apply.

I was there in the midwest, and I've seen similar things with many others in the midwest, unless they have an in, they have to leave to find a job.

12. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Sep 1, 2014

Definitely look over your cover letter and resume. For your cover letter, make sure one of your paragraphs (short ones!) talk about that particular school instead of sending out typical generic cover letters.

Also did you have any long-term assignments? I'd put those separately on your resume because it's long-term experience, a lot different than when subbing day by day. Any letters of recommendation and endorsements are good too. Throw anything out there.

And figure out a way how to send to a principal directly, like snail mail or email. I don't trust online applications.

13. newteacher99

newteacher99 Rookie

Sep 2, 2014

How do you "prove" LTS assignments?

I did a LTS gig about 2 yrs ago, but never got a reference from them because at the time I did not think I needed it :( The school is closed now. Can I still put it on my resume, if there is no way to "prove" it?

:confused:

14. midwesttchr

midwesttchr Rookie

Sep 9, 2014

I have lived in the Des Moines metro for 6 years. Competition for the large school districts (Johnston, Ankeny, Urbandale, etc) is fierce. Going on 5 years of subbing doesn't look great to the administrators, especially when they have their pick at numerous recent graduates from surrounding colleges. I subbed in a suburban district for almost 3 years until I realized that they loved me just as a sub. Even though teachers in the district vouched for me, I never got called for even an interview. Those were 3 very heartbreaking summers. :(

I chose to enroll in grad school to get my master's in special education and became a para at another district. 2 years later when it was time for me to find a SPED teaching position, I applied everywhere within a 1.5 hour radius of me. I did not get called for interviews from the large school districts, but I did attract the attention and ultimately job offers from small, rural school districts.

Because good subs are hard to come by, schools will keep good subs just subs if they can. So do what you can to build your resume: earn another endorsement, scout the LTS opportunities - in small schools, hired personnel such as secretaries, who hold a teaching license, can be given an advantage when a teaching job opens up.

Tl;dr - competition in DM metro is fierce. Subs rarely achieve recognition as a potential teacher. Extra endorsements don't hurt to obtain, but if more schooling is not an option, then branch out to the small, rural schools. They're often ignored but badly need more applicants to choose from to hire. The convenience of Des Moines is that we are only a short stretch on I-80 or I-35 from these tiny districts.