5th to 3rd?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by amakaye, Apr 17, 2009.

1. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Apr 17, 2009

I recently found out I will be moving from 5th grade to 3rd next year. I haven't worked below 5th grade since my freshman year of college...so, what do I need to know about 3rd graders?!

3. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Apr 17, 2009

Multiplication Facts.

They love stickers.

Make reading fun. A big basket of bookmarks, buy a few, a couple small pads of sticky notes,use clip art, print on colored paper and laminate
    A pretty lamp in the library area.

4. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Apr 17, 2009

They're kind of similar to 5th graders, just smaller bodies. They are out of the baby stage that you would find in K, 1st, and 2nd grades.

5. fast chalk

fast chalk Comrade

Apr 17, 2009

You `ll be fine!!! and students , too!!

They are " a little " bit childish but at the same time most of them are good at shool habits, etc, etc.

Don`t panic!! Don`t worry!

Check their behaviour cause they are like "TEENS" but at Elementary level, I mean they are in the middle of primary school and it`s a challenge for them...

BE Patient, you will make it!!!!!!!!! I would recommend you to use Motivation strategies in order to improve attitudes, I have used TREASURE BOXES, STAMPS, LITTLE LITTLE PRESENTS, ETC, ETC... , it works !!
    GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

6. nattles19

nattles19 Comrade

Apr 17, 2009

I think third graders are the best!

They are reading and capable of working pretty independently.

At the same time, they don't have the attitudes that fourth graders get. They still love school and love their teachers and aren't ashamed to admit it! What the teacher thinks is still important, although peers start to become more important too.

There is a big shift in third grade. The curriculum gets harder, but socializing gets harder too. This is when I start seeing girls form cliques, so be on the lookout to nip that in the bud.

At my school, third grade is the year for a lot of firsts - testing, multiplication, cursive...this is really exciting for them.

I hope you enjoy it!

7. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Apr 19, 2009

I should be able to avoid the girls forming cliques...it is a class of 14 (parochial school), with 12 boys! The two girls have the same birthday and are best friends :) Overall, they love reading as well...their small class has by far the most AR points in the school. I'm glad to hear they're not too different than 5th graders--they just seem so little when I see them in the hall!

8. Bridget

Bridget Rookie

Apr 19, 2009

I love 3rd grade! Fast Chalk is right about the "teens" of elementary. They're kind of in the awkward stage of elementary and cliques begin to form (that was a surprise for me this year...as last year's class in general was socially more immature...definitely cliques in this year's class!) My kids loved that they got "big books" this year....Prior to 3rd grade it's a lot of worksheets. This is the year that they actually get textbooks in most subjects! They love carrying home their "big books" and it makes them feel pretty cool! So, yes, they still get really excited about the little things...

9. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Apr 23, 2009

I just found out today that I will be moving to 3rd grade next year as well. I asked to leave 5th grade because I do not like it at all and was hoping to move back to 4th grade, which I love. However, my principal thinks that I would be a good fit for the open 3rd grade position, so I said I'd do it. I'm looking forward to hearing what you guys have to say about this transition. :)

10. Miss JE

Miss JE Companion

Apr 24, 2009

I went from 5th to 3rd and ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!! There were definitely little things the first year that I didn't spend time going over because I assumed they would know - holes on your paper go to the left, how to put a heading on your papers...

They are a perfect age - they still love school and love you but they are independent and are developing their sense of humor! It is so fun to watch them gain their sense of the humor. At the beginning of the year I have to explain a lot of jokes but by now they are getting them on their own!

As all grades be prepared to have a wide range of learners. In fifth grade all my students knew how to read but I definitely have had a few in the past couple years in third grade that are still working on letter sounds and reading!

I hope you love third grade as much as I do!!!