5th grader who will not stop talking!

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by lvnlife287, Oct 28, 2008.

1. lvnlife287

lvnlife287 Rookie

Oct 28, 2008

It's constant.. a really smart kid who just refuses to shut up! What can I do? HELP!! :)

3. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Oct 28, 2008

I have a few 6th graders who are the same way. I'm still looking for an answer myself.

4. teaching4God

teaching4God Cohort

Oct 28, 2008

ok I am a newbie but I would try these things.
    1) one send them on a mission (computers are great for keeping em quiet)
    2.) Tell them you are so smart and there are so many children in the room that you couldnt possibly hear everything he has to say. Tell him to pick the three best comments each day (or two).
    3.) Walk away. (sometimes you have to do this to maintain your sanity)
    4.) I also like to use this phrase frequently. Thanks for letting me know. They feel validated and it usually ends the conversation.

5. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Oct 28, 2008

Well, here's what I'm going to try with my third grader who is the same way. First thing is to make him aware of when he's talking, how much he's talking. I'm going to make a card for him to make a mark on every time he recognizes that he's talking when he should not. At the end of the day, we'll look at his card and I'll provide a reality check of whether I think he caught himself all the time, not enough, or was too hard on himself. Then, we'll talk about reducing his talking when he shouldn't. He'll set a goal of, say, reducing from 14 times in two hours to 10 times in two hours (for example). I'll have to come up with some kind of reward, I think, even though I usually try not to use them. This is a case of making him aware of his own behavior.

Good luck!

6. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Oct 29, 2008

I have an 8th grade student in my resource room who just cannot be quiet in math class. Totally for attention. I have seen him in a regular classroom and doesn't have a problem with talking in there so I know he is capable of controlling his talking. So today I found a simple behavior chart that had about 50 squares on it. On one side, it said "When I raise my hand" and the other side said "When I shout out". When he came into class, I told him that I wanted him to use this chart and mark where he needed to. I told him that I was going to keep one too. After about 5 minutes, he informed me privately that he was not going to use the chart. I told him that if he was going to remain quiet, he didn't have to use the chart. I did tell him that I was still going to use the chart. That was the best he has ever behaved! He raised his hand when he needed something and I tried to acknowledge that right away. I did find that he did mark a couple times on his chart when he did raise his hand. I told him toward the end of class that I was so glad he had made such a good choice. I did tell him that he didn't have to use the chart unless he began to shout out again. Who knows if that will work very long but I am just thankful for at least one day!! Maybe this would work for you too.

7. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Oct 30, 2008

Are we talking call-outs, socializing or both? Examples?