5th grader requesting homework - Help!

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by lvnlife287, Sep 20, 2008.

1. lvnlife287

lvnlife287 Rookie

Sep 20, 2008

Hi All-

I have a 5th grader who is pretty advanced and actually asks me for homework. I want to give him a special project to work on throughout the school year so he is getting the enrichment that he requires. In science we study the Metric System, Chemistry, Nutrition, Some Body Systems and Weather. Any suggestions on how I can handle this? I ama new to teaching 5th grade and being a classroom teacher so any help you could give would be great!

:)

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 20, 2008

I'm SO not a 5th grade teacher, and my 10 year old son would kill me if he knew I was suggesting extra work for one of his peers. But you asked, so here goes:

- Have him solve the obesity epidemic among American kids.:)
    First, have him go online and find out about the problem. Then have him look for possible reasons it exists. Then have him look into proper nutrition, maybe see what a Devil Dog does when it enters your body. Then have him come up with some viable alternatives for his peers: healty diet and snack choices, perhaps a healthy kid-friendly menu for a week. At some point down the road he could present his findings to the class or at an Open House type night.

-Weather: have him look into Global Warming and perhaps the Al Gore piece. (I must admit I've only watched a bit of it.) See if he can find some reason why there have been so many major hurricanes in the past few years-- or are we only more sensitive to them after Katrina and Rita? Or is this just part of a cyle that we've been through before?

4. Miz Liz

Miz Liz Rookie

Sep 20, 2008

I would find out what kinds of things he's interested in. Our school does an Academic Fair where the kids choose a topic to find out more about and then are able to share the information with their peers. One that has been referred to repeatedly is one made by a student with hearing loss. His board talked about how hearing works, what doesn't work with his ears, and how different hearing aids work. The kids were interested to learn a little about him and it allowed him to share this information instead of being repeatedly asked. Basically, it's a combination of the science fair and a report. I'm really excited for getting started with them this year!