5th Grade

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Katie113082, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Katie113082

Katie113082 New Member

Jul 24, 2007

school in my area starts August 27,2007 and im going to teach 5th grade so my principal faxed me during my morning planning and the letter he faxed me had stuff I would be teaching
    in our school the kids always have the same teach execpt for in specials such as music,media,art,gym anways i looked down at the list and looked at everything i would be teaching in health and i saw
    the word FLEBHS ( family living ethical behavior and human sexuality)
    I almost fainted i dont how i am supposed to teach that cause i have this feeling that its too weird to do that. How can i stay calm?

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 24, 2007

Do you know what is included in the curriculum?

4. Katie113082

Katie113082 New Member

Jul 24, 2007

Yes but im not up to sharing

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2007

In our grade 5 Growth and Development unit we basically cover the body changes that happen to boys and girls during puberty, including menstruation. The best way to do it is to first establish some ground rules for your discussions (using correct words, no personal stories or questions, mutual respect, etc). I usually give the kids a quiz as we start the unit to find out what they know already and what misconceptions they have. Present information in a factual, matter-of-fact way and provide a question box so that the students can write down questions they may have. Some students will be very nervous about this (even more nervous than you are), but many are very ready to learn about what is happening to them. Check your curriculum and stick to it. Also check with your team members or administration--our parents need to sign a permission slip before this unit is taught. It really isn't so bad!

6. h2omane

h2omane Comrade

Jul 24, 2007

Send a note home to get parents permission and speak with other 5th grade teachers in your district, they will have tips and tricks to help you.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2007

I forgot to mention, there are many good videos on this topic for the students (no, not those kind! :eek:) Check your school library or talk to your Phys Ed teacher to see if there are any in the school.

Check this link for a great free resource to order:
    http://www.pgschoolprograms.com/puberty/

Last edited: Jul 24, 2007
  8. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 24, 2007

The only thing I would add to what has already been posted is that if you act like a professional adult, the kids will behave as well. If they sense that you are uncomfortable with anything you teach (not just health), they will take full advantage of the situation!