5th Grade

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by colormegreen, Jul 3, 2007.

1. colormegreen

colormegreen Rookie

Jul 3, 2007

Hi! I am new to teaching and will be teaching 5th grade. What can I expect or should I prepare for this grade? Especially behavior and class management - what has worked best in the past for others?

Thanks a lot!

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2007

4. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2007

To help me prepare for this grade (I taught kinder before), I read Tools for Teaching, a readers workshop book, currently reading a writers workshop book.

These are the things I've done so far to get ready for fifth:

I came up with my schedule.
    I put together an Information Parent Pack.
    I came up with classroom rules.
    I know how I plan to set up desks.
    I came up with reward systems (P.A.T, homeworkopoly, economy system, group points).
    I came up with about 10 student jobs
    I plan to have papers filed into their mailboxes (crate with files).
    One job I plan to have is reporter. This student will write what we did for the day. At the end of the month, I will compile their recodings to make a newsletter for parents (I hope parents will be more willing to read the newsletter if their darlings are the ones who write them).
    I created a website (not available online yet).
    I looked over my TE's. I will plan the first two weeks in great detail soon.
    I will do some long range planning soon.

Whew!!! There's more, but I'll stop there!

6. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 3, 2007

Expect that your students should have mastered multiplication, though some won't have. Make sure they practice at home and let parents know. Start early in the year on fractions - before you get to the chapter in your text. Use games, manipulatives, whatever.

If you will be teaching American history, get extra resources on explorers, Native Americans, the colonies, Declaration of Independence, Constitution, government, presidents. You could use posters, timelines, reference books, picture books, historical fiction, even short history plays.

Look for books in thrift stores and at garage sales. Expect students to read independently in class and at home and to do written book reports (not just cutesy ones).

Some kids will be super organized, others will have a great deal of trouble with this. Set up regular times to clean out folders, desks, lockers.

I have parents sign every test, no matter what grade the student gets. I sign the students' assignment books daily. Parents can put notes in there.

5th graders are only 10 when the year starts - still little kids, really. They love games, rewards, and treats. It is a fun grade to teach.

8. colormegreen

colormegreen Rookie

Jul 4, 2007

WOW! You have been busy! This gives me a good way to start and I will look for that book as well to read.

9. colormegreen

colormegreen Rookie

Jul 4, 2007

Thanks for the info! This will help out a lot too!

10. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 4, 2007

Pray your kids have mastered it- only about 5 of my 25 came to me last year knowing their times tables. It made for a rough year lol.

I think that if you do some planning now, you will feel more on top of things. You will have to sit in a lot of meetings before school starts, and you do not want to sit there thinking about all you have left to do.

Get in to your classroom as early as possible!!!

Also, before you do a ton of planning, ask if there is a scope & sequence you need to go by. My district has one, and it pretty much maps out my year.

11. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jul 4, 2007

Remember that even though they are independent, they are still kids. They still love the fun, even when they are acting as though they are "all that". I love 5th grade. I have taught K,2,3,4 and 5 and I don't want to leave 5th grade. Keep your sense of humor up. I truly believe that a teacher must be an actor: the majority of my day is motivating my students to work.
    Before the school year begins, have your discipline policy ready to go. I use a school wide card system. It works like a charm. Students are given 4 chances before a referral is written. I rarely even get to the phone call home. (I teach in an inner ring urban school district) Also, plan more than you expect to do. It is easier to drop something, but 5th graders tend to finish things faster, especially if you are not planned for it!!
    For reading, check out Laura Candler's website. (google Laura Candler). She is a 5th grade teacher, and incredibly awesome.
    Good luck!!

12. TXTCHR29

TXTCHR29 Cohort

Jul 4, 2007

WOW!!! Thanks, I've bookmarked her page!

13. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jul 4, 2007

No Problem, TXTCHR29! Enjoy!!

14. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 4, 2007

Whenever you can make a review into a game, do it. The kids love it. Every single one mentioned games as one thing they'd remember from the year.

LauraB. is absolutely right. They are still just kids. Even when they start with some semi-adolescent behaviors or interests, they don't know why they are doing it. It's okay to remind them that they don't have to worry about that stuff yet.

15. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 4, 2007

I've taught 4th and 5th and love them both. At 5th grade they come in more independent and prepared. They tend to get your humor more and whine less (although you do have your classes!) Harmones do come into play, at least at my school. We go up to 5th grade and at the end of the year we are starting to get the boy/girl issues. I find that my 5th graders are still very respectful and eager to please. They are capable of working independently and work better in groups than my 4th graders did. I plan my day a little differently, in 4th I had it extremely structured with very little free time. In 5th I can give thema little more room with the schedule. They are still kids, though. They love to color when given the chance, they love cartoons. I have a small basket of stuffed animals that have been given to me over the years. They love using these as reading buddies, even some of the boys. They are a good group of kids who want to act like big kids, even if they aren't quite there yet.