5th grade writing demo tomorrow

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Bunnie, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jun 24, 2014

So I was called for to demo in a 5th grade ICT class tomorrow. They want me to do a writing lesson in 20 mins. So here are my thoughts. I'm going to do a persuasive writing lesson. I'm going to introduce the concept of what persuasion is and how to persuade someone to agree with your thinking. I'm going to list my topic and then come up with 3 reasons to persuade my readers why they should agree with me. I'll then give the students a topic, have them turn and talk, and give me 3 reasons. Then for a very short independent practice they will choose a topic and state their 3 reasons. I'll have 1 or 2 students share and then conclude the lesson.

How does that sound? Any suggestions?

3. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Jun 24, 2014

Maybe you can start off your lesson with a short persuasion writing piece---to get their interest! Everything seems well organized! Good luck!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  4. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 24, 2014

It sounds like a lot to accomplish in 20 minutes. It is hard for 5th graders to come up with good reasons to persuade. Could you maybe do a group writing only instead of trying to do groups and independent in that time?

5. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Jun 24, 2014

Bunnie-- I think that's a great topic for a lesson, but agree with the other posters that it seems like a lot to accomplish in 20 minutes. I would take a component out: either the group or independent. In your reflection/follow-up with the principal, you can always mention what you would have done with a bit more time.

6. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jun 24, 2014

Ok so I changed some things. I'm going to introduce the lesson with me talking about trying to persuade my parents as a kid. Then connect it to the teaching point. I have everything written on large chart paper. So my model is me agreeing with having school in the summer all my reasons are already listed (to cut down on time). I'm going to have the students turn and talk for a minute about reasons to disagree with having school in the summer. I will then fill in their answers. I now have 5 topics they can choose from to agree or disagree with and list three reasons why. They will work on that and hopefully I will have time to share, probably from their seats and conclude the lesson.

I could definitely do this lesson in 30 mins. I could teach the whole mini lesson in 10 mins but 20 minutes is such an awkward demo lesson time limit. I hope it runs well at least to the point that most get the independent work completed.

7. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jun 25, 2014

UPDATE

It went pretty well. First was a sit down interview with the AP and literacy coach. Then my demo which they switched to 4th grade because the 5th grade classes didn't have a lot of kids in them since they graduated already.

The AP really just wanted to see the mini-lesson portion of the lesson so my demo was around 10 minutes. While the students were independently working I met with the literacy coach and the 2 classroom teachers and debriefed. I got a lot of compliments and was able to ask the teachers questions.

All in all I got a really good feeling and left the school on an "interview/demo high". The AP said he would update me by Friday on what the next step is.

8. My3kloves

My3kloves Rookie

Jun 25, 2014

Sounds like you did awesome! Keep us posted!

9. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Jun 25, 2014

Congrats! It sounds like it went really well. Fingers crossed that you will be getting an offer by Friday :)

10. MissD59

MissD59 Comrade

Jun 25, 2014

Crossing my fingers for you! I wish I saw this yesterday, my demo was for 5th grade and it was persuasive writing/opinion writing.

11. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jun 25, 2014

Well hopefully since you and other people have gotten jobs doing a persuasive writing demo some of that luck will rub off on me :D