5th grade won't stop talking!

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by bridgetbordeaux, Apr 1, 2013.

1. bridgetbordeaux

bridgetbordeaux Companion

Apr 1, 2013

I am in my second week as a long term sub for a maternity leave.
    The students met me before I took over the class when I subbed a few times and they were very respectful and listened to me.
    Now, I feel like they are not listening, following directions or
    doing their assignments. I know it's Spring, and almost Spring Break, but how do I get them to listen and stop talking when I ask them to be quiet? Nothing is working so far.

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Apr 1, 2013

Do you stop and wait for them to be quiet? Have you tried having a conversation about their behavior with them?

Maybe tally the number of times that you need to wait for them to be quiet and try to get less tallies each day.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Apr 1, 2013

This is normal for 5th graders. I would usually wait them out. Eventually they catch on. Sometimes I'd point out that they must really want homework since they are wasting their class time. On really bad days, they would owe me minutes off of their recess or get silent lunch. When it was really, really bad (like a party day or something), I'd have them do a 'time out' and put their heads down. I'd follow with a lecture about how disappointed I was with them, etc...

What are you using as a behavior system?

5. bridgetbordeaux

bridgetbordeaux Companion

Apr 2, 2013

The grade level has a conduct sheet that they use. If a student is talking they get a check for that week. If they have more than 4 checks the behavior needs improvement. I am not crazy about the system but I cannot change it. I can stop and wait until the talking stops and will try that tomorrow.

6. missapril81

missapril81 Companion

Apr 14, 2013

My third graders are good for talking as well. For most part they are a wonderful class, just my boys like to talk and they are loud sometimes. I have done the tally mark idea and they lose that time off recess. Really bad days my class as a whole has to earn the recess back as a team. This I have found has been successful.

7. scarletjones

scarletjones Rookie

May 6, 2013

An everyday connection is must for the students otherwise they do not obey the teacher ,try to be supportive be strict punish one or two soon or later they will listen to you.