5th grade - whole group on carpet?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by shoreline02, Jun 12, 2017.

1. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Jun 12, 2017

Do 5th graders still come to the carpet? Is it age appropriate/not appropriate? I'm used to this method when reading books, introducing anchor charts, among other things. Thoughts?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  3. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 12, 2017

I've done it many years. They might not all fit on the carpet, but gathering them together in an area is fine. I find it really helps their attention and focus.

otterpop likes this.
  4. Sab

Sab Companion

Jun 12, 2017

When I student taught in 5th we did a couple activities where students came to sit around the ground in a circle. We didn't have enough room to have a carpet area in the class, so we'd have to move desks out of the way each time.

For read-alouds and such I felt like it was better to just have students sitting at their desks so they weren't all in each other's personal space.

5. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jun 12, 2017

4th grade here, but I make sure that they are changing environments on a regular basis. In addition, I purposefully try to carve out different spaces for different purposes -- when they're at their desk, it's usually they're focused on an independent task, etc...

otterpop, Obadiah and Leaborb192 like this.
  6. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jun 12, 2017

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 12, 2017

Yup, still in 5th. I even kept my rocking chair and certain kids got the right to sit in the special chair. But, lots of times, the kids just lay on the floor, some with books to read along, some just relaxing, maybe under desks.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  8. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jun 12, 2017

I had a carpet area my first two years in 5th, but this year I moved to a smaller classroom with more kids (32) and I just could not get them to fit, so I eventually downsized my carpet area and used it more for small groups. I'm moving to a new school next year (still in 5th) and will have 34 kids...I'm hoping I can carve out a carpet area but it's rough. More than 30 5th graders takes up a LOT of room.

I have found that a lot of 5th graders really don't like sitting on the floor at all. This year when my carpet area was too small, I gave them a choice - carpet area or the front 3 tables (about 12 seats), and I found that it worked ok, but it wasn't a perfect solution.

9. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jun 14, 2017

Yes if there is room. You may want a bench or such to organize seating. Larger kids will appreciate that.

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 14, 2017

A couple of years ago, I had a carpet in my grade 7 classroom and the kids loved it! I had to get rid of it because one of my students was allergic, but I'd love to get one again.

11. MisterS

MisterS New Member

Jun 14, 2017

Most of the 5th grade classes that I've subbed for this past school year involved calling the students to the carpet, whether it's for morning meetings, discussing stories, or other group activities. It's a nice departure from being in seats. Interestingly enough, classes that haven't used the carpet don't seem to miss it too much.

12. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Jun 15, 2017

One important advantage to moving to the floor, the kids aren't stuck in one position in their seats for too long a period of time.

mathmagic likes this.
  13. allaphoristic

allaphoristic Companion

Jun 15, 2017

When I was student teaching 5th, my mentor and I brought them to the carpet a lot (morning meeting, etc.), however, by the end of the year, many were uncomfortable sitting on the floor. We modified our activities to have them bring their chairs to the circle, but we only needed to use that in the last month- month and a half.

14. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jun 16, 2017

I do the same. Giving them chances to get up and move, or to listen to the lesson from a different space, is helpful. As with any age, though, make sure you have clear expectations, as there are always a few that view carpet time as a time to sit by a friend and whisper.

15. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jun 16, 2017

I did when I taught fifth. The kids struggled with it at first, since they hadn't really done it since second grade, but I do it for several reasons...
    1) It gives them a change of scenery from sitting at their desks
    2) It brings them in closer to me... I can monitor attention more easily, and they tend to be more focused with me closer to them.
    3) It removes the distractions from their desks (though admittedly, there can sometimes be other distractions at the meeting area)

Leaborb192 likes this.
  16. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2017

A few benches are exactly what I need for next school year. They can double as work surfaces too! Thanks for mentioning that!

otterpop likes this.
  17. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jun 17, 2017

I have a few times a day that my fifth graders come to the rug, but if a kid quietly joins the group while sitting in a chair, I don't make a case about it. There are enough valid reasons why an older student wouldn't want to sit on the floor that I get it if a kid won't.

otterpop likes this.