5th Grade Thanksgiving Project

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by kristi115, Oct 25, 2007.

1. kristi115

kristi115 New Member

Oct 25, 2007

Hello all! I am a brand new member, and I am also in my first year of teaching 5th grade. I teach Language Arts to around 40 students. I am curious if anyone has any good activities or projects for Thanksgiving. Specifically, I'm looking for a community service or family involvement project that we can do around the Thanksgiving holiday. I am also interested in any great classroom projects for the holiday. I would appreciate any ideas that you have. Thanks!:)

3. smithf1

smithf1 Rookie

Oct 27, 2007

project

Hi,

I don't personally do this project, but a few teachers I know do it. The children have to interview an "elder" family member or friend. They first write the interview questions, over the Thanksgiving Holiday they interview someone, when they return to school after the break they write about their interviewee.

This can be open ended or directed (asking about a specific topic)

4. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Oct 27, 2007

I may go for the family involvement project this year for my advanced reading class since we are reading a story about family lineage for two weeks coming up. However, this is arising before Thanksgiving.

5. Fish in 4th

Fish in 4th Rookie

Oct 27, 2007

pumpkin project

If you ask around after halloween usually people will give you pumpkins for free if you tell them you are a teacher. You can use the pumpkins for some messy science .

http://www.monroe2boces.org/programs.cfm?subpage=458

This is kind of what I have used in class in the past. The kids loved it. Great for math too.