5th grade teacher wanting your advice

Discussion in 'Sixth Grade' started by runnerss, Jul 7, 2009.

1. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jul 7, 2009

This is my 5th year to teach 5th grade and I really try to prepare them for 6th grade. For example, I don't like giving homework but out middle school gives a lot so I give it so that it isn't a shock when they get to 6th grade. Also, I really try to teach them to be more independent so that they aren't lost when they are thrown into middle school. There are many other things that I try to do, but I was wondering what are some things that you would like for your middle school kids to be more prepared in. It can be academic, discipline, etc

* This isn't a vent/gripe session of frustrations that your 5th grade teachers didn't teach or do right. I know I personally send my kids VERY prepared to middle school. I just would like some more ways that I can help that can better prepare my kids.

3. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Jul 7, 2009

My two are mainly academic:

Organization with a binder and a planner are key at our school... and so many kids don't know how to do it. I try to help, but I only have them for about 50 minutes a day... I will try harder this year to start the year off with it, and to model proper organization and give reminders.
    --I have had so many middle school students just throw things in binders and never find them again -- frustrating!

Also, the concept of coming with materials to class baffles many. Most expect me to provide paper and pencils for them... rather than bringing their own supplies. :( I can't do that for 100+ students.

Some teachers in our district work really hard to prepare kids for middle school, but it would appear that many don't know what is expected. This would be a great topic of discussion for us to have amongst the grade levels here. :)

4. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 7, 2009

This post was a great idea. I too try very hard to prepare my students for middle school. It's great to have my former students come back and say, "Ms... I'm so glad you did xyz because that's how it is done in middle school. I have tons of info on the feeder school my students move on to, and try to incorporate some of the same things that they do, but on a smaller scale. I feel by the time they leave me they know how to be organized enough to make it in the 6th grade.

5. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jul 7, 2009

I know what you mean by supplies. I really stress to them about the importance of being prepared. I tell them that it will not be tolerated in middle school so they better start practicing now.

I think you are right that some 5th grade teachers just don't know exactly how to prepare them.

I am really focusing on organization this year. I know that will help the teachers in 6th grade.

Keep the ideas coming guys!

6. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jul 7, 2009

That is great that you have so much info from your feeder school. I wish we had that.

7. wig

wig Devotee

Jul 8, 2009

I agree with MyAngel. Organization techniques and being responsible are the two key ingredients for success in MS.

Also, this may sound trivial, but in my area, knowing how to use a combination lock. This is more for the sake of the kids than for the teachers. Combination locks are the most frustrating thing for new MS students. Believe it or not, it gives those that know how to use one a sense of empowerment. It is one less confusing thing in an overwhelmingly confusing first week in MS.

8. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jul 8, 2009

I teach 5th grade, and I stress to my students the importance of getting ready for middle school from the moment they come in!
    This year, the 4 5th grade teachers in my team partnered up with 4 6th grade teachers. We are working closely with them-they came to our school so we could collaborate-and each 6th grade teacher spent the a.m. in our classroom observing and answering questions.
    We are also going to start a "bridging the gap" program where we share outstanding accomplishments of our 5th graders, and they are going to share outstanding accomplishments of our former 5th graders. This way both sides have familiar faces sharing their joys!