5th Grade Substitute Advice

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by zstewa3, Aug 15, 2015.

1. zstewa3

zstewa3 New Member

Aug 15, 2015

I am working on my PE and Health certification but in the meantime I am subbing. I have no teaching experience and this will be my first ever experience in a classroom. I am a little nervous. Any advice for 5th graders or subbing in general?

3. Banana0

Banana0 Rookie

Aug 15, 2015

Take a deep breath! Subbing is not too bad and 5th grade is awesome. A list of suggestions:
    - Get there early to familiarize yourself with the sub plans and find any materials you need. Find out where the staff bathroom is, where you can have lunch, etc.
    - Introduce yourself and let the kids know your expectations, both for the entire day and when you begin a new task. I always used to tell kiddos that I would be leaving a detailed note for their teacher at the end of the day, and I really really wanted to tell her that her class was awesome and perfect while she was gone. I would keep a "list of names" for my note, and if they made it on the list, they would be given one more shot to have it erased. Don't embarrass those kiddos in front of the class, pull them aside when you have a moment or you will make enemies of them.
    - When you give instructions for a task or a transition, make sure you say something like "When I say go" before you begin.
    - I personally find that you have to be more strict as a sub and less "fun" than you might want to. You just don't have time to build much report.
    - If you have a question, ask one specific student instead of addressing the entire class. You don't want everyone shouting out. Then ask another kid to make sure your information is correct. ;)
    - Keep some games or something in mind in case you run out of things to do. Heads Up 7 Up is always a winner. They also respond really well to being able to make a choice. So you could say they can read silently OR play with the class and it's up to them.
    - Leave a note for the teacher at the end of the day about what did/didn't get done and behavior. Include your contact info if you'd like to sub in that class again. If you plan to sub regularly or full time, you may want to order business cards. I got mine from Vistaprint and attached it to my sub note in the classes I liked.

Edit to add: Also, praise them for being good! If they're working really quietly, tell them how great it is and how impressed you are! If only some kids are working quietly and you want the others on board, praise those kids who are doing the right thing. "Thank you Bob for working so quietly, I appreciate it. Thanks Ashley, great job. Awesome work, table 4." Work with whatever behavior plan is on the sub notes, like table points or class money.

4. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Aug 15, 2015

I agree! Just be patient. Remember they are little kids in big bodies. They are no different than the younger ones!
    Know what you are doing! Read your sub plans and follow them.
    Reward them for their hard work.
    I'm sure you will do great!

5. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Aug 15, 2015

5th graders can be fun, but they can challenge a sub. Here are some suggestions.

1. Keep them very busy.
    2. Don't sit down if you can help it. Keep on the move while they are working.
    3. Be consistent with classroom management--try not to give too many warnings.
    4. Be positive-show them that you are glad to be there.

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2015

With all middle school students, I would always write down the names of the students who weren't doing what they were supposed to, on the board, no explanation as class continued. Close to the end of the period, those students always wanted to know why THEIR names were on the board. The answer was always the same - it is never a good thing when the sub knows your name before the end of the period, because those are the names that go into the report I leave for Mrs. X at the end of the day. I never threatened to rat them out or get them in trouble, simply left that to their imagination. Usually by the third period there would be no names on the board, and I always acted disappointed, as they beamed. I would spend about 5 minutes doing a quick round of trivia quiz as a reward. Whether I remembered the troublemakers name long-term became irrelevant, because they knew mine, and we got along very well.