5th Grade State Reports

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by preggers, Aug 4, 2007.

1. preggers

preggers Rookie

Aug 4, 2007

Just wondering- do you have your kids do state reports? If you do, what are some things you've had them do? What are your reports' requirements?

3. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Aug 5, 2007

With geography and social studies, I hardly have enough time to cover everything mandated by the California State Standards. Since fifth grade kids don't have to learn about any particular state, I just have them focus on all of the states and capitals. Fourth graders do a state report though.:)

4. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Aug 5, 2007

One of the fifth grade teachers at my school did a really cool state project last year. Her students each had a state to research, and they made a float for their state. They were the size of a red wagon - most were made on wagons, although some were on other surfaces. After completing them, they had written up a paragraph summarizing their float and why they included what they did. She invited the other classes to come outside and watch the float parade one afternoon. We have a courtyard area with grass in the middle. The classes all sat on the grass and the students one by one walked their floats around the outside of the courtyard. While they did that, she read their paragraph about their float over a microphone. After every student had walked their float around, the whole class went around one more time. It was really great - the students in her class were really proud of their projects, and the other students enjoyed watching it. It was towards the end of the year, and it got my fourth graders really pumped up for fifth grade. It was great!

5. Jenny G

Jenny G Companion

Aug 5, 2007

We do state reports. It's pretty much the tradition in the whole area that 4th grade does Mission reports, 5th does state.

Our current format is an A-Z book. We assign the letters and have a specific graphic organizer for them to fill out.

We will be rethinking that format in a few weeks. We want to get an earlier start this year than last.

6. dumbdiety

dumbdiety Comrade

Aug 5, 2007

I do the same in 5th grade. Here's the rubric/directions I gave last year. I was thinking of changing it around a bit and actually making it a book (piece of paper folded in half). I'll play with it tonight to see what it might look like....

State Project

7. Schyler

Schyler Rookie

Aug 6, 2007

Hi!

I would love to hear more about the A-Z book you did! Thanks!

8. SnowDaisy822

SnowDaisy822 Companion

Aug 6, 2007

I didn't like what I did last year, but what I did like is that they all created powerpoint presentations. This is what I'll do this year:

We're going to study the US by region. For each region they'll do a mini report. One time they'll have to make maps of their state, another one a power point about specific things, another one a travel brochure, etc, for all 5 regions. I think this way they'll learn more about the states, capitals, and characteristics of each region and state.

9. kermy

kermy Companion

Aug 8, 2007

I'm a new 5th grade teacher and i know we are doing state reports. I really liked your alphabet book idea! Do you mind if I use it? Thanks!
    :love:

10. dumbdiety

dumbdiety Comrade

Aug 8, 2007

Kermy, you go right ahead and steal it. I stole it from someone else and modified it, so it's only right! :)

11. Veteran Teacher

Veteran Teacher Rookie

Aug 8, 2007

I have done a number of things in regards to state reports. Here are a few ideas:
    - Traditional written report; students write a 5 paragraph report on their state. (I give very specific guidelines and tell them what each paragraph should be about) The cover for the report is an illustration of the state's flag. The students can accomplish this anyway they want. My only requirement is that it is on a piece of 8.5x11 paper. The report also includes a map of the state. ( I give the students blank outline maps) The map must include major cities, bodies of water, landforms, attractions, etc... and a map key. I allow students to choose any state but Ohio, as they learned all about Ohio in 4th grade.
    - I've worked with the computer teacher to have them do almost everything above, but using Kid Pix or Power Point.
    - Region Project; Students work in groups. Each group is assigned a region. They research places of interest, major cities, etc... Then they create a travel itinerary for their region. They also make a map and highlight the things on their itinerary. In a class presentation, they try to "sell" their trip to the other students.
    *On a side note, I found this really cool Crayola coloring book that has posters for each of the states at Toys R Us. They show the state flag and have basic information about the state. I am going to use it for the state reports this year. I am going to have each student choose a different state so they can each have one seeing as the pages are too large to copy.

12. preggers

preggers Rookie

Aug 8, 2007

Thank you for all the wonderful ideas!