5th grade social studies

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by shouts, Sep 3, 2007.

1. shouts

shouts Companion

Sep 3, 2007

I'm taking over for a retiring teacher in a small district. This district is so small that I am the only 5th grade teacher and each teacher is responsible for their own curriculum!

The previous teacher taught the decades of the 20th century - which is covered in high school, not part of the core curriculum standard for middle school, and not particularly interesting to me.

I'm brainstorming, looking for a theme for this year... something that would run through all the topics and tie into a greater lesson.

My first try, the theme: Give us your tired, your poor, your huddled masses...

Covering:

1) the formation of American government (the roots of democracy in English tyranny) and it's resulting three branch system

2) The downfall of the Native Americans (persecution)

3) Immigration (the plight of many people and the refuge they sought here)

4) World War II in the United States (the treatment of Asian and Italian Americans)

5) The Holocaust

6) Civil rights (60's to today)

Is this too morbid? Can you think of something I might add? Any other suggestions?

Thanks for your help!

3. shouts

shouts Companion

Sep 3, 2007

Hmmm.... adding the suffragist movement! Slavery and the underground railroad...

4. hipteachergirl

hipteachergirl Companion

Sep 3, 2007

Well, I don't know about other places, but the curriculum that is lined out for OK 5th graders covers ancient peoples, explorers, new nation, states, etc. until 1850. We go right up until the civil war. I guess my suggestion is to check the statewide curriculum and adapt yours from there.

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 3, 2007

What does your state standards say? That would be the first thing that I would check.

6. wig

wig Devotee

Sep 3, 2007

What are your state standards? Ours is US History Early Eras (through the Constitution). I think what you have outlined is a bit ambitious for fifth grade. http://www.misd.net/Socialstudies/sequenceofstudy.htm

Not knowing your standards, it's hard to give you really good advise. The above link will give you an idea of what US History is like for kids in our state.

Check with the 6/7/8th grades to see what they are covering. You don't want to duplicate some things and miss others.

7. shouts

shouts Companion

Sep 3, 2007

As I've posted before, the 6-7-8 teacher says she covers the ENTIRE CURRICULUM! So I'm left to fill gaps. The previous teacher did the 20th century 1) because that was something the 6-7-8 teacher did not cover and 2) she enjoyed it. Nothing past reconstruction is part of the core curriculum.

http://education.state.nj.us/cccs/?_standard_matrix;c=6

It's been left wide open for me, as long as I don't do geography, ancient civilization, world cultures, or American history! I figure I can pick out meaningful, under studied areas to teach a larger lesson. Yes, I could do civics and economics, but I'd like to create something more cohesive.

8. shouts

shouts Companion

Sep 3, 2007

Too ambitious because it's too advanced? The theme is discrimination and oppression, so I'm not comprehensively covering each topic.

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 3, 2007

You can't do American history? That is what is covered in most 5th grade curriculums.

10. shouts

shouts Companion

Sep 3, 2007

Nope... at least not through reconstruction. I think the only open parts of the standards are civics and economics. Most fifth grades in NJ cover ancient civilizations.

11. wig

wig Devotee

Sep 3, 2007

Just curious: Why are you not covering ancient history then?

Our silly state doesn't cover that at all except slightly in World Cultures (7th). The kids really enjoy it. Years ago they used to cover it in sixth.

As for being an ambitious curriculum? I am speaking from MY experience with fifth graders. It does seem advanced, but it may depend on your population of students too. Is discrimination and oppression part of your state standards? It really does look very interesting.

We are pretty well locked into a curriculum, which it appears some of the other posters on this thread are, too. It's also tested in early sixth and ninth grades.

If it is not tested in your state, I say go for it.

12. shouts

shouts Companion

Sep 3, 2007

Thanks - I'm going to pose it to the principal tomorrow. It's not as wide-ranging as it may first seem... I'll pull specific examples from the larger topics for use to explore. Discrimination and oppression not a specific standard, but it is prevalent across American history! Call it the Howard Zinn teaching model...

This is what teaching used to be before testing!

13. TXTCHR29

TXTCHR29 Cohort

Sep 3, 2007

5th grade history for Texas is American History from the beginning until late 20th century.

I have no idea how I am going to get everything covered!!! Especially since we are departmentalized and I have 2 lang. arts sections that each have to have a 30-40 minute word study block, 60 minute readers workshop block, and a 60 minute writers workshop block! Also take out from my day 45 minutes for specials and 45 minutes for lunch/recess.....There is NO TIME!!!! Oh yeah and passing the state reading test in 5th grade is REQUIRED to be promoted! So, my focus has to be on reading.....but, they are adding more social studies benchmarks this year because the state test for social studies is coming within a year or two!!!

Sorry didn't mean to highjack! :hijack: I'm just stressing!

14. wig

wig Devotee

Sep 3, 2007

Yes it is. I will be interested to see how your kids do with that. I cover a lot of that in 8th grade, but we only go to Reconstruction

15. wig

wig Devotee

Sep 3, 2007

I would be stressing too. How in the world do they retain ANYthing with that much history to cover?

16. TXTCHR29

TXTCHR29 Cohort

Sep 3, 2007

Thats what I'm wondering!!!

17. shouts

shouts Companion

Sep 4, 2007

Hopefully you can incorporate those social studies benchmarks into reading and writing...

18. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 4, 2007

I never made it past westward expansion, except that I also did a unit on WWII and one on the civil rights movement. I constantly included lessons on racism, religious intolerance, injustice, dangers of certain kinds of government, awful reality of war, discrimination...... it all goes together. Without the history, though, I don't think it goes together as well for 5th graders. None of my kids had ever even heard of the holocaust.