5th grade social studies

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by shouts, Jul 5, 2007.

1. shouts

shouts Companion

Jul 5, 2007

I took a new job in a small district where the teachers are left largely to their own devices. The previous (retiring) teaching taught the decades of the 20th century, but I pointed out that the topic didn't align with the state standards. We have no existing curriculum or textbook.

I was thinking possibly citizenship, government, the constitution. The 6-7-8 teacher claims she has dominion over geography, ancient civilization, and American History through reconstruction (and the high school takes it from there).

Anyone have other suggestions? Suggestion for topics or a uniting theme? Sources of units?

3. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jul 5, 2007

SOCIAL STUDIES.
    http://www.poofcat.com/july.html Pledge by Red Skelton http://www.lilesnet.com/patriotic/Hero/skeltons_pledge.htm

Revolutionary war!! a whole bunch of activities and a test and study guide.
    http://www.mandygregory.com/SocialStudiesActivities.htm#The Revolutionary War

Latitude Rhymes with "Fatitude" and people grow fat from side to side or east to west just like the Latitude lines. Longitude runs from North to South.
    www.studiesweekly.com Social Studies. www.studiesweekly.com Social Studies.
    Social Studies www.thesocialstudiescompany.com. They sell lesson booklets based for grades 5-6 with lots of fun activities. There are programs on American history and world history. They also have entire programs on other regions like Latin America

Post a picture of "Person of the week" someone from history, current events, politics, etc.. and give some clues about that person. Students name the person and write a couple sentences about the person, or what their significance is.
    ****And Scholastic's books of history plays are pretty good, too. I did a Columbus play and one about the White House when the British burned it.

http://www.educationworld.com/a_lesson/archives/state.shtml they have a mystery state activity. For each state there are 5 clues and the kids research and try to guess the state. Last year I gave one clue a day and the kids tried to guess the state before they got all 5 clues.
    Social Studies www.thesocialstudiescompany.com. They sell lesson booklets based for Grades 5-6 with lots of fun activities. There are programs on American history and world history. They also have entire programs on other regions like Latin America
    Row, row, row your boat
    Gently through the oceans
    Pacific, Atlantic, Indian, Arctic
    Oceans are so deep!

I think the Southern ocean has been added, so I guess you would have to adapt it.
    Social Study web sites.
    http://www.emints.org/ethemes/resources/S00000272.shtml

http://www.cloudnet.com/~edrbsass/edhist.htm#revwar

http://www.mandygregory.com/SocialSt...ionary War

4. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jul 5, 2007

Wow! I googled your standards and that is interesting - it doesn't delineate what is in each grade level, just 5 - 8. I'd talk to the teacher and see what parts of "ancient civ" she covers, as those standards are pretty broad - there may be parts that she doesn't cover or doesn't cover in depth that she might share.

Other than that, you might want to consider State History, which would overlap some but be more focused on NJ, or more modern American History.

5. shouts

shouts Companion

Jul 5, 2007

Exactly my problem - It looks like the 6-8 teacher has claimed everything. 4th grade is the "NJ" year, so they should have covered everything NJ.

She seems to be one of those possessive teachers (I can do it all better) so I'm sure she won't want me encroaching on her territory. I was thinking it might be fun to adopt a theme within civics and delve into particular topics along a commonality.

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 5, 2007

5th here is American history from the first Americans to - as far as we can get! I rarely make it past westward expansion, though I also do a unit on WWII.

I use weekly newspapers from www.studiesweekly.com .

7. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 5, 2007

We start the year off with map skills and geography(continents, oceans, states and caps). Then we jump to the Revolutionary War(4th covers everything up to here), and try to cover everything(yeah right;) ) all the way up to modern times.

8. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 5, 2007

Here, 5th grade is largely American History as well.

9. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jul 6, 2007

Same here, largely American History.

10. wig

wig Devotee

Jul 6, 2007

I looked at NJ standards, too. WOW! How vague can you make them. Must be a nightmare for students changing districts.

Two areas I feel get neglected the most are economics and civics. Perhaps you could do a semester of each? Incorporate current events. There are great lessons on line that are appropriate to fifth graders

http://www.econedlink.org/lessons/index.cfm

11. caslan

caslan Rookie

Jul 25, 2007

wow, Wig, that was a great link. I was needing some economics lessons b/c they are in my frameworks, but not in my textbook, you saved me tons of work!!!! YAY!

12. dumbdiety

dumbdiety Comrade

Jul 25, 2007

I'm with Upsadaisy. I didn't get past westward expansion, but those Social Studies Weekly magazines are WONDERFUL! They are geared for Florida standards, but I know teachers in other states who are using them just fine.

13. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 25, 2007

Thanks, Wig -- I appreciate your help!

14. SnowDaisy822

SnowDaisy822 Companion

Jul 27, 2007

We do the 50 states and American history. Mostly for history we cover the constitution, revolutionary war, and the declaration of Independence

15. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Jul 27, 2007

love the Mystery States idea.. thanks hescollin for all the great links!

16. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 27, 2007

I didn't read the entire thread, but here are some ideas.

Election process (it's coming up soon)
    Olympics/differnt contries' cultures
    Map skills (you can never start too early)
    Native Ameicans
    Regions of the US
    Presidents

5th grade Soc. St. is American history here as well starting with the ancient cultures (Maya and Aztec). I usually get through the Civil War and just touch on Reconstruction. You might want to talk to the other teacher and find out what she doesn't cover in as much depth and focus on that. I usually skip or gloss over Westward Expansion (they get it in 4th grade), the Industrial Revolution, and Texas's fight for independece from Mexico and desire to join the US.

17. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Jul 28, 2007

In our 5th grade social studies class in NW NJ we concentrate on the events leading up to the American Rev., writing of the Constitution and the Articles, and then just begin to talk about the expansion of America with Lewis and Clark at the end of the year. During this time, we also talk about the Presidents (each student is required to know the names of all, do not need to know the order) as well as the 50 States and their capitals (we have a few projects to go along with this, culminating in a big group project the last few weeks of school.

18. wig

wig Devotee

Jul 28, 2007

As you can see, the majority of us teach American History in Fifth Grade. I suggest that you teach American History through the Constitution and leave the rest to her. She can not possibly cover all of American History well during this time.

In eighth grade I start with the events that let to the American Revolution and go through Reconstruction or in a good year, to 1900. The overlap is the Revolutionary War, of course.

The other thing you can do is go to your principal, benchmarks in hand and ask him/her what you should be covering. That is the principals responsibility to deliniate - especially when you are in a state with such vague time frames.

19. CheleOh

CheleOh Rookie

Jul 28, 2007

I totally agree with wig. If the other teacher is so difficult, SOMEONE must come to your aid.

I was thinking along the lines of the presidential election process, then realized it's NEXT year. :-( See what happens when our media inundates us with campaign stuff so early. ;-)

I'll suggest the units from Interact. They're now "housed" at Highsmith's website. They're wonderful for involving the students in the learning.

Here's a link:Interact Simulations

Good luck! I'd go NUTS if my standards were as vague as yours!

Chele :)

20. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 29, 2007

True the elections are next year, but I was thinking this group may not get an election unit next year. Besides it heightens the awareness of what is happening now to prepare for all the caucuses and primary next year. Don't some of them happen in the first part of the year?