5th grade social studies project

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by pagepro, Nov 19, 2006.

1. pagepro

pagepro Rookie

Nov 19, 2006

Does anyone have any 5th grade social studies project ideas. I am a first year teacher and I want to give my students a project to do pertaining to one of the fifty states.
    thanks in advance

3. wig

wig Devotee

Nov 19, 2006

4. SnowDaisy822

SnowDaisy822 Companion

Nov 19, 2006

I bought a teacher book that has them write information on history, economics, and a few other areas (it's been a while since I've looked at it). They'll write a report and then create a powerpoint presentation for the class.

5. michelb366

michelb366 Comrade

Nov 19, 2006

6. Raising3boys

Raising3boys Companion

Nov 19, 2006

When my oldest son was in 4th grade, he had to do a scrapbook on one of the states. He collected ALL kinds of information pertaining to the state. It was a great hands on project. He was able to do some of it at school and some of it at home.

7. kburen

kburen Cohort

Nov 20, 2006

We (I also teach 5th grade) had our students do a 2 week project where they had to create a state. They had to include a lot of information in a book-like format. They had to give a history of their state, a flag, motto, flower, tree, bird, name, map of only their state with landforms included, a map of the united states showing where their state fit in and then had to create a brochure encouraging people to come to their state and why along with a news article about their state. Some kids have a blast with it and do an awesome job....Others....well....you get bottom of the barrel work and they complain the whole time.

8. Teacher-AK

Teacher-AK Rookie

Nov 20, 2006

Kburen, that sounds like an amazing project! I teach 4th and 5th grade and I have my 4th grade students take voyages to imaginary lands where they are the explorers and have to make up everything about the land, etc. and even who sent them and why. I really like the idea of them creating their own state. I probably would do that after they do some other sort of state-related project. What do you do to introduce the 50 states?

9. Teach2Inspire

Teach2Inspire Comrade

Nov 20, 2006

At the beginning of the year we write letters to the State Department of Tourism for the states that students have been assigned to. Then in the second quarter I require them to complete a state report.

Here is what I use:

Fifth Grade State Report
    Due Date: December 15th

Over the next couple of weeks you will be working both at school and home on a state report project for the state that was assigned to you. This report will be worth 100 points. (95 points for required information and 5 points for neatness). I normally do not take away points for assignments that are late, however on this project, 5 points will be deducted every school day this assignment is late. Start working on it early. If you need help come see me.

Your report must include the following information:

§ How the state got it’s name (5 points)
    § The year it became a state (5 points)
    § Early Historical Facts (5 points)
    § Natural resources (5 points)
    § Economy (manufactured products, minerals, agricultural goods) (5 points)
    § State government (5 points)
    § Political features (population, number of counties and cities) (5 points)
    § Climate (5 points)
    § Places to see and/or things to do (5 points)
    § Special events (5 points)
    § Map (It must be hand drawn) and must include: (20 points)
    o Physical features such as: mountains, rivers, bays, oceans, etc.
    o The capital and the three largest cities
    § State flag (You may use a printout, but you must color it) (5 points)
    § State flower, bird, and tree (You may use a printout, but you must color it) (15 points)
    § State song (5 points)

There are several ways that you can submit your project:

1. You can make it as a travel brochure using a folder. If you do, please use the following format: (Make sure your information is complete)

On front cover:
    § Your state’s name
    § Your name
    § Date

Inside left cover:
    § Flower, tree, bird
    § State flag
    § State Song
    § Climate
    Inside right cover:
    § How the state got its name and when it became a state.
    § Early historical facts.
    § Natural resources and economy.
    § State government and political features

On the back cover:
    § List: places to see, things to do, and special events.
    § Map of the state, which shows physical features, the capital, and the three largest cities.

2. You may also do a written report. If written, it must be either written neatly or typed.

3. You may create a poster board with all the required information (Be creative).

4. You may also create a PowerPoint presentation that includes all the required information.

Some websites resources you may want to use are:

§ The Information Please Almanac
    http://www.infoplease.com/almanacs.html

§ 50 States
    http://www.50states.com/

§ World Almanac for Kids
    http://www.worldalmanacforkids.com/explore/index.html

§ Yahooligans Directory>Around the World
    http://yahooligans.yahoo.com

We will be going to the school library to check out books on individual states. You may also want to use an encyclopedia for your research.

****Extra credit**** - For 5 extra points, you may present your report orally to the class. Please let me know ahead of time if you plan to do this so that I can schedule you a time to present.

10. kburen

kburen Cohort

Nov 21, 2006

Well...We really didn't do a whole lot with the 50 states to begin with. We were given 9 weeks to review map skills with the kids (huh? how?) So we, as a grade level, decided to do this project to take up time. Before we did it one of the things that we did talk about and do some activities with was each state's nickname..Just because it was interesting. They each got a packet with all the states and a list of all their nicknames, past and present, and a packet with questions. They had to match each state to the nickname using both packets. Then they spent about 2 weeks on the other project.