5th grade Reading Ideas

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by melba, Jul 10, 2002.

1. melba

melba Rookie

Jul 10, 2002

Hello, I will be teaching 5th grade Reading/Lang. Arts and Art to a group of GT and high achievers. The Reading series that is used at our school is Scott Foresman Reading. I'm looking for enrichment activities to incorporate with this series. I'm also looking for any Lang. Arts and Art ideas.

Thanks,

Melba:)

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Jul 28, 2002

hi.
    I dont know if this is going to go w your curriculum...but while i student taught in 5th grade I did a whole unit on Roal Dalh, they read The Witches, Matilda and I used Boy as an all class read ( I read a few pages after recess, to let them unwind!) As a closing activity ,groups selected important parts of the book and created puppet shows! they had a blast and it was fun to watch!

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Jul 29, 2002

Thank you! I will try. ; )

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 2, 2002

Hi. I will be teaching 5th for the second year now and I have great plans for the year. Just hope they work out!!!!

I am going to do literature circles daily. Students will either read with a small group - all reading same novel - or individually. They will discuss by chapter and write in response journals. I will give them a variety of choices for how they can respond beyond the journals - make a mobile, write a letter to a character, compare two characters, etc.

For language arts, the first 9 weeks will be used to create a class magazine from start to finish. They will actually apply for jobs (layout editor, distribution, etc) which I, as chief editor, will assign. All students will contribute work to the magazine and all will be involved in editing the work of others. I hope they will be proficient enough to do the actual typing on Microsoft Word. We will cut and paste a mock-up, though, since the emphasis will be on the writing, not the desktop publishing.

I continue to read aloud to 5th graders - they love it. I am going to include a lot of historical fiction since we have American History in 5th grade social studies.

I'd love to hear back from you.

Debbie

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 2, 2002

I like your idea of creating a class magazine! Could you give me more details on how to get started? You can email me at melba@stx.rr.com

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 4, 2002

I really like your idea of making a class magazine as well. I'd love to know more about the details and how you introduce this project. Please email me at agemary76@hotmail.com

Thanks!!

8. musicbug

musicbug Rookie

Aug 5, 2002

I love the class magazine idea as well. Pleas e-mail details if possible to mrso78@yahoo.com

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 6, 2002

When I was in Grade 4 I was in an accelerated English category (the stuff we are doing is below you so you 4 go off to the library and pick a book, write a report was our accelerated back then!). That gave me an oppurtunity that I am thankful for to this day...the oppurtunity to read "The Diary of Anne Frank" at the proper age to reap the full benefit of her story. The Diary may be to much for some kids of that age group (it was Grade 7 curr. at that time), but advanced readers, as you've said your group are, shouldn't have too much trouble with it. I would also second Rohl Dahl...who is well loved by kids that age, or any age!

10. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 6, 2002

I like the class magazine idea as well and would love to have the details as well. Please send to fmostek@wwa.com

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 6, 2002

I would like to have the magazine details as well. Would you please send info to aeav.em@verizon.net? Thanks

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 8, 2002

I will be able to post the title of the publication regarding the magazine project on Saturday afternoon. Maybe later we can all chat about implementing this.

13. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 10, 2002

I have taught Gifted/High Ability students in grades 4 and 5 for 7 years and a total of 17 teaching years. One thing I strongly recommend is that you do not use any literature that is on their reading level, but a level above. Gifted and talented students enjoy the academic rigor and challenge of reading books that are being read by older students. I use Mildred D. Taylor's series beginning with Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry (Newbery winner), its sequel Let the Circle Be Unbroken, and then in Grade 5 we move on to the last two Road to Memphis and The Land. These books contain historical information around the time of the Great Depression as well as intense material related to segregation, prejudice, and racism. In Literature Circles, my students choose books that revolve around particular genres. In my particular population, there aren't too many students who have not already exhausted all of Roald Dahl's books, so they are looking for more of a challenge. Just try to have fun with literature and don't let the basal readers take over!