5th Grade Read Aloud

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Riley20, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Riley20

Riley20 New Member

Apr 3, 2011

I'm looking for some advice! My 5th graders and I are ready to start a new read aloud book. We are getting ready to start writing personal narratives in writing, so I was hoping to find a read aloud that mirrors that theme. Any suggestions? Thanks!

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Apr 3, 2011

Knots in my Yo-Yo String by Jerry Spinelli. My sixth graders loved this one!

4. **Mrs.A**

**Mrs.A** Comrade

Apr 3, 2011

5. brit2187

brit2187 Rookie

Apr 3, 2011

We read Al Capone Does My Shirts by Gennifer Choldenko this year and my fifth graders LOVED IT!!
    Others they have loved are Bunnicula (drawing a blank on the author) and Dogs Don't Tell Jokes by Louis Sachar. All three of these books are good read alouds because they are fast-paced and keep the students laughing.

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 3, 2011

Sahara Special by Esme Raji Codell

Here is a synopsis (from www.planetesme.com ):

There are two files on Sahara Jones. The one the school counselor keeps is evidence that she's a fifth grader who needs special education. The other is the book Sahara is secretly writing, her Heart Wrenching Life Story and Amazing Adventures.

The latest chapter in her book unfolds when her mother insists that she be taken out of special ed. So Sahara is facing fifth grade in the regular classroom, again. But why even try to do the work, Sahara wonders, if everything she does just winds up in the counselor's file?

Enter Miss Pointy, the new fifth-grade teacher. With her eggplant colored lipstick and strange subjects such as "Puzzling" and Time Travel," she's like no other teacher Sahara has ever known. When she passes out writing journals to the class, Sahara has fresh hope for the school year. Through Miss Pointy's unusual teaching, storytelling and quiet support, Sahara finds the courage to overcome her fears and prove which file shows her true self.

7. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Apr 3, 2011

Home of the Brave - about an African refugee adjusting to life in America

The Thing About Georgie-about a boy dealing with being a dwarf

Loser by Spinelli-about a quirky boy who never loses his rose-colored glasses. (I actually think teachers should read this book because he has some that understand him and some that absolutely don't.)

Drita, My Homegirl-also about a refugee from, I want to say-Bosnia, adjusting to school in America.

8. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Apr 3, 2011

The Watsons go to Birmingham

9. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Apr 3, 2011

Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech

10. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Apr 6, 2011

Bloomability would work for higher level kids.