5th Grade Movie Titles?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by kburen, May 15, 2007.

1. kburen

kburen Cohort

May 15, 2007

One more day of state testing. I'm so proud of my students for using all of their test taking strategies! The principal has approved for us to do a movie/popcorn party on Thursday to celebrate that it's over and that they used their strategies and did their best work. I'm not sure what movie to show. I think they are kinda tired of animated movies (I've shown them Finding Nemo, Polar Express, and Happy Feet this year) but I'm not sure what "non animated" movies are appropriate and that they will like. Any suggestions?

3. Amers

Amers Cohort

May 15, 2007

Do they have to be G rated, or can they be PG? I know Shrek is animated, but it's still a really great movie. The new Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is rated PG or what about that older movie, Hook?. Can't think of more right now, but I'll keep thinking.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 15, 2007

My grade 7s and 8s just watched The Night at the Museum--it's hilarious (not sure, but I think it is PG).

5. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

May 15, 2007

Homeward Bound or The Adventures of Milo and Otis. I think both are G-rated and they are very cute without being too babyish or animated.

6. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 15, 2007

Milo and Otis is good. My kids like George of the Jungle. I'm not sure what it's rated, but it is very safe to show. Matilda is also a fun one.

7. goopp

goopp Devotee

May 15, 2007

My 5th graders watched Homeward Bound and Homeward Bound II this year. They loved them. They just saw Summer of the Monkeys (we also read it this year).

8. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 15, 2007

My students also like the Chronicals of Narnia that came out last year.

9. corral_gal

corral_gal Rookie

May 15, 2007

night at the museum, happily never after, miracle dogs, good boy, any ernest movie is always a big hit with our 5th graders

10. prettyinpink

prettyinpink Rookie

May 16, 2007

my third graders are watching akeela and the bee as their reward movie that is being shown by the principal

11. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 16, 2007

I was thinking about this last night. What about some of the classic Disney movies from the '60's like Old Yeller and The Parent Trap with Haley Mills? Or Herbie the Lovebug? I know they are kind of goofy and sometimes cheesy, but I bet some of the kids have never seen them.

12. redskins0756

redskins0756 Rookie

May 16, 2007

I really didn't like Happy Feet. I saw it on a plane ride to San Francisco and it was a lot less than I expected.

But to keep on topic. I think that a movie like the Sandlot would be good. Of course you could always watch Jaws :0 . That is rated PG, but under today's rating system I am suret it would be higher.

13. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 16, 2007

Have you seen EVERYONE'S HERO???VERY cute!!! It was directed by Christopher Reeves. About a boy who saves Babe Ruth's bat!!!

14. SenoritaL

SenoritaL Rookie

May 16, 2007

How about "How to Eat Fried Worms"
    My 5th graders loved it. It's a funny tale that has a good message about bullies, etc. and of course lots of gushy gross worms- boys and girls really enjoyed it!

15. goopp

goopp Devotee

May 16, 2007

We watched Balto today. It's animated, but my 5th graders loved it.

16. patti2

patti2 Cohort

May 16, 2007

two favorites

My own kids all love the movie Toothless with Kirstie Alley (I think it is hilarious too!). My son's fifth grade teacher shows the old Twilight Zone Movies to her class and they LOVE them!

17. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

May 16, 2007

My kids like "Wallace & Grommit Curse of the Ware Rabbit"

Thanks for the other suggestions!

18. kburen

kburen Cohort

May 17, 2007

Thanks guys! If I can find it I may go with How to eat fried worms, just because we read it as a read aloud this year and they loved it.

Our principal was going to show Akeela and the Bee after the spelling bee....Until she and the librarian sat down to watch it and cought how many curse words are in it.

All of ya'lls suggestions are great ones. Thanks again :) I'll find something tonight!

19. kburen

kburen Cohort

May 17, 2007

For those of you who said (or have seen) The Night at the Museum. It's rated PG and it says for language and rude humor. What language? We're "supposed" to send home permission slips before showing a PG movie but the principal doesn't always care. I would like to be able to tell her what's in it when asking permission.

20. georgiateacher

georgiateacher Rookie

May 17, 2007

Try pluggedinonline.com. It gives you very detailed reviews of every movie. It will also tell you exactly which curse words and how many times each is used. It will also tell you if it has any sexual inuendos (sp?). I love it. I use it for our family before my children watch any movies. I have been surprised at some of the content of children's movies.

21. kburen

kburen Cohort

May 17, 2007

Thanks for the site, it sounds awesome! I just can't use it here at school (because of the language the firewall and all doesn't let me read anything when I type in a movie). I'll check it after school though. thanks again :)

22. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

May 17, 2007

Because of Winn Dixieis a wonderful movie but I'm not sure of the rating. It's a literacy tie in as well.

23. goopp

goopp Devotee

May 17, 2007

That's a great one!!

24. manda19832002

manda19832002 Rookie

May 17, 2007

we went on a field trip to see night at the museum...the kids are 5-12 and there was no issues. It was just a good fun movie. I thought how to eat fried worms was a good movie too. You should know they say *****(i'm pretty sure thats it or some other varation of the word...its been awhile since i saw it)

25. teach57

teach57 Comrade

May 19, 2007

I know someone mentioned this already, but Summer of the Monkeys is a great one. It would be better if you read the book before because this one is great to compare. (The movie is very different.)