5th grade math and science

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Emma1, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Emma1

Emma1 Companion

Aug 3, 2007

Hi all,
    I went for an interview at a local private school and then called me back to enquire if 5th grade math and science would sound good for me. I need a full time job and I like the school. So I accepted the offer.
    My question is if they ask me to come in for a demo lesson- what is the best way to go about it? I checked their curriculum online and found out a little about their math and science program. What are the various topics ( math and science) that could be fun and engaging?

I have taught 1st 2nd and 3rd graders but not older kids. I want to make a good impression and also keep it clear from the kids' point of view.
    After introducing myself and start a rapport with the kids about the topic and make them participate. Then give them problems to solve on the board. This school has an emphasis on academics.
    what would a good topic or topics that can be handled safely in a new situation?:unsure:

Any thought regarding this is WELCOME. I am glad I came to know of this forum. Thanks to everyone in advance. :)
    Emma1

3. Emma1

Emma1 Companion

Aug 5, 2007

Please any replies? I am counting on your advice and suggestions.
    Thanks,
    Emma

4. Lovetoteachkids

Lovetoteachkids Comrade

Aug 5, 2007

Maybe I didn't read it right, but I'm confused why they would ask you to come in to do a demo lesson if you've already been offered the job.

5. Emma1

Emma1 Companion

Aug 6, 2007

Interview and demo lesson

Hi LovetoTeach,
    Thank you for your reply. Here is what happened. I was interviewed by the Vice principal and she told me their hiring procedure. This is how it is - THe principal will interview me again after going thorugh the application and of course after my first interview with the vice principal( if they are interested).
    If they are impressed, then the next step is to go tho their Regional office and take a written test. If I pass that, then I have to do a demo lesson.
    Then if all this goes well, I get the job.:rolleyes:
    But right after the first interview, the principal called me over the phone and asked me a few questions( phone interview- am I right)Then he said they have an opening in the campus I wanted for a fifth grade position. He said My resume says I am qualified. Also, he mentioned that I will hear from them VERY shortly.
    What does that mean? Did it go well? did I get my hopes up for nothing?:unsure:
    I was hoping I will get called for demo lesson:| :|
    I am still waiting.
    Also what would be the salary range for private school teachers in Sunnyvale, SAn jose, CA area?
    Thanks,
    Emma

6. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2007

Does California have state standards that you could look up. When I have put together lessons for grades I didn't teach I looked up the state standards for the grade I was preparing the leson for and got ideas from there. If not maybe you can look up national standards, or standards from another state for ideas.