5th grade Language Arts Question

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by Schyler, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Schyler

Schyler Rookie

Aug 6, 2007

Hi fellow teachers!

Do you have a mandated Language Arts curriculum or do you do your own thing? We have a curriculum but are encouraged to do something more along the lines of Readers Workshop (in addition to Writers Workshop). I plan on doing some Author's studies, as well as Literature Circles (based on Social Studies standards). In addition, I have access to something called The Comprehension Toolkit so I am going to begin by using it. I would like to incorporate spelling, vocabulary, grammar, and all the other standards. The problem/question I have is, how do you arrange your schedule to get all of this in? What does your Language Arts program look like? Any hints, advice, suggestions or bones you might want to throw my way would greatly help!

3. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Aug 6, 2007

I wish I could help in this category.:( My program is scripted and we pretty much have to follow it word for word.
    I know that it might seem overwhelming at first, but consider yourself lucky. I wish I could implement my own reading workshop and lit circles. The kids find some of the stories that we have to read in our lang. arts program just plain boring.

4. ITeach4Him

ITeach4Him Comrade

Aug 6, 2007

In Texas, Language Arts is sometimes separated from Reading. Language Arts means "Writing" usually. I taught ELA and taught Writing and Grammar with the emphasis on Writing. We did not have a curriculum and I used "Write Traits" to teach it. Writing is one of our State assessed tests the kids have to pass in 4th and 7th grade to pass.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2007
  5. lifelonglearner

lifelonglearner Rookie

Aug 14, 2007

I am in the same boat. I was just hired to teach 5-8th grade language arts and the "curriculum" is practically non-existent. This is my first teaching job out of school and I am a bit panicked. They have DLR transparencies and something called Advanced Language cycles for grammar and vocabulary but nothing is very grade specific. Any thoughts?

6. science goon

science goon Rookie

Aug 15, 2007

We create our own curriculum, as long as we are addressing the state Learning Results. I am job-sharing this year, so we are splitting things between us. My "other half" will teach reading and penmanship. She'll do some whole-class novels, lit circles, and independent reading. We refer to Fountas and Pinnell's books often--they are excellent. I will teach writing and spelling. I'll use the Writer's Express books for grammar and for writing reference. I use the Six Traits model. For spelling, I'm ditching our spelling workbooks and making my own program. I'll create the kids' lists each week based on words they misspelled in their writing or words from their reading or science or social studies lessons. Each day of the week will have a different task to do with the words (write sentences, alphabetize, dictionary skills, etc) and there will be some extra activities when they have extra time.

7. osutx

osutx Rookie

Aug 16, 2007

I'm in a school in Texas and we have a scripted curriculum. In our school LA means English and Reading together. They are two separate books, but we teach them in a 90 minute block. We also have writing and spelling sprinkled in to that.

8. lifelonglearner

lifelonglearner Rookie

Aug 17, 2007

What curriculum do you use? I am having a hard time trying to figure out my scope and sequence for the year without having to create everything from scratch. School starts the day after Labor Day and I am really feeling the pressure. I will be teaching in 45 min. blocks.

9. Schyler

Schyler Rookie

Aug 17, 2007

We use Houghton Mifflin. School starts on th 27th for our kids.

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 17, 2007

I have done my own LA for 5th grade for the last 6 years. There was no way I could get it all in. This past year, I just gave up on grammar (they get soooo much of it in middle school) except for mini-lessons on editing and such in writer's workshop. I switched to writer's workshop just last year and I really think it is the way to go. For reading, I never used a basal, just novels. I read aloud daily for pure enjoyment and discussion. I used spelling words from a book, but didn't use the workbook. Vocab was all social studies words and phrases.

11. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 18, 2007

We're given the standards, then offered possible lessons filed on the Internet for each standard. Not much, and lots of ways to reach that standard. If you're new, more than likely the teachers at the school will show you some of the things they use.

I would suggest creating your own spelling lists. I use words they need in their writing, like professions that would make interesting character choices. Places, adjectives, vivid verbs, sounds, lots of lists on other words besides "said" and "walked". Fifth graders should be beyond needing spelling for phonics instruction, but there will be some who still need phonics. We even had to create a Dolch word list for spelling for some of our new immigrants.

12. lifelonglearner

lifelonglearner Rookie

Sep 16, 2007

Can you tell me what curriculum you use? My school is looking to purchase something to teach reading/writing, grammar, vocab for 5-8.