5th Grade Language Arts Demo Lesson Next Week! SUGGESTIONS!?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by mary2122, Jun 15, 2012.

1. mary2122

mary2122 Rookie

Jun 15, 2012

Hey everyone...so I passed the interview round and now onto the demo lesson portion of the process. So excited yet nervous! Any suggestions, words of wisdom would be GREATLY appreciated. So this is the objective I need to achieve.

determine two or more main ideas of a text, and explain how they are supported by key details;summarize the text.

It needs to be STUDENT CENTERED and I really want to create a fun lesson that really WOWs them!

This is what needs to be included.
    1) An assessment plan that will be discussed after since the demo time is only 25 min and we won't get to that part.
    2) Observation note taking/check list system to use DURING the lesson to check for understanding.

Any input or ideas would be GREATLY appreciated! I figure I can't read a long story since that would take up all of the 25 min. I want it fun and exciting...go big or go home! Thank you all in advance!
    [/LIST]
    [/LIST]

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 15, 2012

Choose something non fiction, maybe an article in a magazine or newspaper. Once you have your material the lesson will flow.

4. Ms_C

Ms_C Comrade

Jun 16, 2012

I saw this idea on Pintrest the other day and loved it. You make a table using the main idea and the supporting ideas are the legs. It gives the students a more hands on and concrete example of main idea.

http://pinterest.com/pin/272467846176476627/

5. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Jun 16, 2012

Oh, I saw that idea too Ms_C! It is such a good idea.