5th Grade is Middle School?

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by diana, Aug 26, 2010.

1. diana

diana Rookie

Aug 26, 2010

I came across a job posting for a 5th grade teacher that took me by surprise because it's for a middle school. I have never seen a middle school that included 5th grade. (Growing up, however, I did go to an elementary school that included 6th grade. :D)

Is this becoming a new trend?

3. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Aug 26, 2010

I'm not used to it either, but I am a 5th grade teacher in a middle school. I only teach math and language arts.

4. diana

diana Rookie

Aug 26, 2010

That's interesting. Did you need endorsements in math and LA, or was an elementary teaching certificate sufficient?

5. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Aug 28, 2010

I don't know that I agree with the idea. I spend an entire year getting kids ready for middle school: staying organized, being responsible for assignments, changing classes, etc. I don't think my students would be successful if they were in a middle school setting.

6. Mr. Fifth

Mr. Fifth Rookie

Aug 29, 2010

Our Middle School...

is a 4-7 building. The 6/7 graders follow one schedule. The 4/5 graders follow another. We have 8 of each level. My fifth graders have one teacher for LA and one for math/science/ss. Truly we are still elementary with the benefits of the "bigness" of having a full sized gym, a planetarium, a pool, and great specials such as music, art, PE, swimming, library, family and consumer sciences, study skills, and computer. I love it there...it great teaching on a team...I would never want to go back!

7. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Aug 29, 2010

We're on the middle school floor, but are still self contained.

8. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 29, 2010

Fifth grade is in the middle school at my school. It's typically very tough for them at the beginning of the year going from a self-contained 4th grade to having four teachers and lockers. For three years I taught only ELA and was required to get a middle school English (5-8) teaching license in addition to my elementary license even though that qualified me for grades 1-6.

This year we switched to a more elementary departmentalized model, though. We will have two person teams and the students will have one teacher for ELA/social studies and another for science/math. We're hoping that will make it more of a transition year for the kids.

9. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Sep 1, 2010

I teach fifth grade in a middle school (5-8).

The kids have 6 classes (including PE) with 6 different teachers.

In fourth grade, they are completely self-contained. So they go from completely self-contained, to completely departmentalized PLUS they have lockers now.

Needless to say, the first nine weeks is hectic trying to teach the kids how middle school works. I don't mind fifth grade being at the middle school, but I do wish that the elementary school fourth grade teachers would departmentalize so that the kids could get used to switching classes before they come to middle school.