5th grade inclusion teacher

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by montgm, Aug 24, 2007.

1. montgm

montgm Rookie

Aug 24, 2007

Hi! I got a job as a special ed. 5th grade inclusion teacher. This is my first year and I am a bit nervous. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

3. montgm

montgm Rookie

Aug 24, 2007

Any advice for a first year teacher?

4. darlindg

darlindg Rookie

Aug 25, 2007

Hi there -- I'm a new 5th grade teacher as well and also, from NY. I had to stop and say hello to a fellow New Yorker. What part are you teaching in? I'm in Brooklyn.

My class is part-time inclusion which is something totally new to me. I have 5 special ed students and a special ed teacher is in my room co-teaching 3 days a week for Math and ELA. She helps me to plan lessons the rest of the week. I have no experience with special ed so this is a whole new challenge for me. I would also love any helpful tips...

5. daddy'sgirl

daddy'sgirl Rookie

Aug 25, 2007

I'm also a 1st year inclusion teacher in 5th grade. Our school year starts on 8/27 and I would also greatly appreciate some advise.

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 25, 2007

I merged the two identical threads. It is better to post a new thread in only one forum.

7. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 28, 2007

As a regular ed teacher with inclusion teachers coming in, please, please, sit with your kids and sit with the ones who aren't on your "list" and help me reach them all. I don't want them pulled out to a table, I want them with the others, but I can't get to all the kids who need help. Just explain away any confusion and help them understand any assignments. I don't even need you to plan anything, but I'd rather you come down and find out what I'm going to teach so that you can be prepared with anything at a different level that they might need. It really bothers me when I have an inclusion teacher who never comes to see me about what I'm teaching, and then stands at the door or leans up against the wall, or sits at a chair waiting for me to direct her. If hers don't need help, then help someone else. Or chime in if you know about the topic. (I guess you'd better ask the teacher if you can do that. Me, I love it when someone plays "tag team" with me.