5th grade - how to do novels?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by abby1966, Nov 13, 2006.

1. abby1966

abby1966 Rookie

Nov 13, 2006

Hi, I'm a brand new 5th grade teacher and was wondering how you all handle doing novels in your classroom? I've got a couple of kids who are way below grade level to consider also. Wondering, what novels you have used and with what materials? Also, was wondering if you did a lower level novel for the below grade level kids? Just trying to figure all this out. Thanks!!

3. MissaG

MissaG Companion

Nov 13, 2006

I don't have a lot of experience yet, as I am a second year teacher, but I am beginning my first novel with my fifth graders this week. I find that if we do a lower level novel to start and read it as a class, they can get a feel for what reading a novel in class is all about. Later in the year, I will go for literature circles where all of the books center the same topic or theme but are at different levels. Good luck.

4. Raising3boys

Raising3boys Companion

Nov 14, 2006

For Shared reading, I do a few novels where I either read and the each student has a copy to follow along or I have the book on tape. Each chapter we do a focus( standard/objective) and activity that follows. My below level students might not be able to "read" the book, but they are able to hear fluency while learning the standard.For shared reading it is always above level novel. My students favorites are The Cay, Number the Stars, and Watsons go to Bimingham. For guided reading groups, I do various novels based on the needs of my students. My groups rotate and sometimes we do Lit.Circles. My lower groups do it just at a different pace and book.