5th grade Homework

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by OUOhYeah, Oct 16, 2015.

1. OUOhYeah

OUOhYeah Comrade

Oct 16, 2015

What do you usually give as homework in 5th grade? I don't think I'm giving enough. Any ideas? I need ideas for Math, Reading, Science, and Social Studies.

Thanks

3. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Oct 16, 2015

I give a packet. If you get any workbook at your students' level, that's easy enough.

Other ideas would be a project like a book report or research project.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Oct 16, 2015

I never exactly gave homework when teaching 5th. Their homework was their unfinished classwork. I tried to plan my day so the average kid would have about 15-30 minutes plus their required daily reading. My kids that were focused and motivated often finished their assignments, and I was OK with that. My big procrastinators would have an hour or more sometimes. Also OK with that (they need to learn to stop wasting class time.) My goal was for them to never take home more than 10ish problems in math and maybe a few questions left of a science or social studies assignment. (Never both science and social studies.) They also 30 minutes of reading (required no matter what- they had to answer comprehension questions the following morning as morning work- they were generic).

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Oct 16, 2015

I should add- I did a lot of projects and usually did an 'at home' project once per marking period. (The middle school was big on them so I tried to transition them some.) I usually gave like 3-4 weeks to their project. The last few days before it was due I tried to allow ample classtime to finish all assignments.

6. OUOhYeah

OUOhYeah Comrade

Oct 16, 2015

Ok, well I am going to put together a reading and a math packet, but it will take 2-3 weeks to complete.

7. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Oct 16, 2015

I don't give much homework. I do expect them to read and work on basic math facts if they don't know them yet. I send home one page of review math skills, and one page of reading skills per week.

8. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Oct 16, 2015

What do you use for reading and math curriculum? Many programs have premade homework / home connection pages or extra practice books that are perfect for homework.

My curriculum has tons of extra resources, more than I'll ever get to.

9. OUOhYeah

OUOhYeah Comrade

Oct 17, 2015

We use engageNY

10. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Oct 17, 2015

I give about 1 hr of homework/night. 20 minutes of math, 20 minutes of language arts or another subject, and 20 minutes of assigned reading from the novel we are reading. We usually start the math in class together, so many get the homework done in less than 1 hour. The reading, I give comprehension quizzes about 1 out every 4 days to make sure they are reading and understanding the book.

I don't give homework over the weekends.

otterpop likes this.
  11. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Oct 17, 2015

I like the idea of giving quizzes on what students read for homework. I've never considered that before. We don't read novels as a group, but it could be done with shorter texts.

12. OUOhYeah

OUOhYeah Comrade

Oct 17, 2015

I'm getting ready to start Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief with my students in a few weeks. I am really excited to do it.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 17, 2015

The fifth graders I tutor get about an hour's worth: typically math, reading with some sort of associated writing/response, science or SS reading/packet work...there's usually a test in one of these areas or an ongoing project.

14. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Oct 19, 2015

Almost all homework I have my fourth graders do is basic practice (independent reading, basic fact practice, practicing their spelling words, journaling, etc...), or practice that is something that they just learned that day in class (such as math homework, occasionally grammar work). Unless you're hearing from all of your parents or from your administration that you're giving too little, I wouldn't worry a ton about it. Have them do plenty of reading, make sure their basic skills are up to par, but the rest isn't necessarily needed or will necessarily help a ton.

15. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Oct 19, 2015

A neat homework idea my sons did for science was to take a photo of something in nature, research it briefly, and write a paragraph. The teacher would make a booklet for the entire class and they would spend some time reading it to self or a brief show and tell. My sons loved it and learned a lot. Quite motivational for your own learning. I think they did 20-25 of them each.