5th grade discipline

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Guest, Aug 5, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 5, 2002

I'm going to be teaching 5th grade for the first time this year, coming from Kdg. How do I discipline 10 yr olds? Time out? What have you found that works? Thanks!

3. musicbug

musicbug Rookie

Aug 5, 2002

Fifth graders understand much more than 1st graders so implusive misbehavior is greatly reduced. These students are very interested in fairness. I usually set down the ground rules and basic consequences. I also as what they think would be fair. Their suggestions are ususally much harsher than anything we would think of. My favorite system is warning , name on board, consequence( usually includes isolation) The child then has to ask to return. If the behavior continues a loss of free time and a child written letter to be signed by parents. Of course all violence earns a trip to the adminstrator.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 5, 2002

It depends on the severity of misbehavior. All problems with other students require a conference, explanation of points of view, common understanding, and reconciliation (often with letters of apology). Refusal to acknowledge behavior results in students sent to an administrator.

I am in a small school. Ordinary infractions merely require reminders, maybe discussions. Not turning in homework results in students staying in from recess until it is completed.
    I never post behavior problems on the board. I try to deal with them, then drop it. We really have no violence. Students must respect each other and all teachers. I expect 5th graders to be good role models for younger students and remind them of this. I praise them for the many, many ways in which they are growing more responsible and capable. They do love responsibility. This is a great age.