5th grade demo lesson advice

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ortiz058, Jul 4, 2013.

1. ortiz058

ortiz058 New Member

Jul 4, 2013

I had an interview with a school district (Yay!) and was asked to come back next week to do a demo lesson (and answer more questions) for a fulltime position.

It has to be a 20-25 min. lesson for 5th grade ELA on a content standard of my choice. I am going to teach it to the panel as if they are 5th graders. I will have an ELMO, laptop, and LCD projector available and I also have to incorporate technology.

I did a demo lesson 2 years ago for my first job (was part time) and got that job. Although that one was 1st grade and was in front of the actual class.

My experience is part time teaching in 1st grade and 3rd grade.

Any advice or tips for 5th grade?? Thanks for any help.

3. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jul 4, 2013

Is this common core ELA?
    You could do any of the Language ELA common core: figurative language would be a great standard to cover;you could break it down to cover one of the figurative language:idioms, personification, similes and metaphors, etc.
    You can easily incorporate the ELMO...have students(panel) bring their work up to the ELMO to share...

4. ortiz058

ortiz058 New Member

Jul 5, 2013

It has to be on a California Content Standard. I am doing a lesson on making inferences using text clues and background knowledge. Good idea to have "students" bring their work under the ELMO to share.

5. eternalsunshine

eternalsunshine Rookie

Jun 21, 2014

I am thinking of doing a demo on personification for 5th grade. The CA common core standards says: Determine the meaning of words and phrases as they are used in a text, including figurative language such as metaphors and similes.

Do you think I will get docked for choosing personification even though it is no specifically listed?

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 21, 2014

I'd be shocked if you did, eternalsunshine.

7. eternalsunshine

eternalsunshine Rookie

Jun 21, 2014

I hope so teachergroupie. I could choose one of the others but I really want to do personification and think my lesson will be much more interesting for it.