5th grade classroom management HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by Nikkizme, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Nikkizme

Nikkizme New Member

Aug 13, 2008

Hi,

I am a second year teacher and am returning to 5th grade. I would like some assistance on a better classroom management/discipline program. I tried clip pulling combined with table points and a classroom money system last year and, although my principal thought I did okay, I did not find it as effective as I would have liked.

I HATED the money system as it was a pain and I had issues with students stealing them and selling them for REAL CASH to other students. So, this plan went out the door.

Anyway, I really need some good solid ideas for keeping students on task and getting their classwork/homework completed.

I would like something that works for groups and something that works for individuals as well.

Please help :help:

3. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Aug 13, 2008

I do 2 things, whole group and individual:

Individual- I give out blank raffle tickets (not the ones from the teacher store...they are overpriced) when I see students displaying above and beyond behaviors, being helpful to others, or being a good model of listening, transitioning quickly, etc.. The student then writes his/her name or # on it and drops it in a fish bowl (we have a fish theme that goes with the FISH philosophy). I just load up my pocket with some in the a.m. and it helps remind me to reward for all of those positive behaviors. When i need a special helper, or have some type of reward or priveledge to give, I pull a ticket from the bowl. This could be reading on a comfy chair during ind. reading (i have 4 chairs so there are 4 kids a day earing the privledge), running an errand, or winning a prize (i will pull about 5 tickets on friday for prizes). This is very similar to the "token system" that has been referenced often from this site:

http://mspowell.com/tokensystem.html

The difference is that I use tickets and the kids write their names on them when I hand them one.

Whole group:
    I have a smaller fish bowl (the type for a beta fish) that I put "fish food" in (lil pom poms) when the whole class gets complimented by another staff member, or I think they all did a great job with something, like walking in the hall, lining up quickly and silently, etc. When the bowl is filled we vote on an activity (movie, game time, extra recess, etc.) to have. I can put in as many pom poms as I like (and of course when the party is earning can easily be manipulated lol). This is similar to a marble jar.

Hope these help!

4. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Aug 13, 2008

OH btw the year before last i did table group fish food bowls. I gave table groups food when they were doing the right thing, working hard, getting materials ready quickly, then on friday each group would count thier food and the table with the most won a pencil or something like that. You could have fish food for each table, and when that group gets it filled they earn the free time or reward...this way every group would get rewarded eventually, just some sooner than others.

5. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Aug 13, 2008

6. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Aug 13, 2008

As you note a problem with token systems is they often create their own discipline problems in addition to the discipline problems they were designed to eliminate.

Consider: Any worthwhile management system (includes token systems) will self-eliminate. An effective token system will be used in the beginning as teacher trains class then gradually disappear as the kids learn their lessons. A red flag should go up if the first week of school does not look much different from mid-year and end year with the teacher knee deep in auction tickets, Genius Bucks, or stuffed pocket charts.

7. MonsieurMetal

MonsieurMetal Rookie

Aug 15, 2008

See, I love the money system as a good, integrated way to teach about economics and such. The theft part is obviously bad and needs to be stamped out. I don't see anything wrong with selling the class money for real money, though. In fact, I find it quite enterprising.

8. Nikkizme

Nikkizme New Member

Aug 15, 2008

I suppose it could be enterprising, but the problem is that the kids who purchase them are the kids that don't exhibit the behaviors to earn them in the first place. So, it defeats the purpose.

I too loved the money system when I was student teaching in a 3rd grade class that didn't abuse it.

9. Nikkizme

Nikkizme New Member

Aug 15, 2008

Thank you for your help! I will consider this method.