5th Grade Books

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by misukita, Jul 12, 2007.

1. misukita

misukita Rookie

Jul 12, 2007

Hello, everyone!

I will be teaching 5th grade next year, and would really like to know from teachers who have taught this grade level before, what are some unforgettable 5th grade books/stories/novels that I MUST get a hold of this summer.

Thank you for writing back!

3. Haley1996

Haley1996 Rookie

Jul 12, 2007

Im not a teacher I am student going to 5th grade but in 4th grade my teacher read some books about 5th grade near the end of the school year so here are some great books you will love

First Day of Jessica Long
    Last Year Of A New Beginning of Jacob Lawrence
    5th grade woosh of Ariel Hunter
    Older of Helen Davidson

All of these books were written by Katie Ross

4. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jul 12, 2007

There are so many...it is hard to narrow it down. Are you looking for good read aloud stories? I would suggest A Year Down Yonder by Richard Peck, and A Wrinkle in Time by Madeline L'Engle. My class loved both of those! If you are looking for books for independent reading during your literacy block, I would suggest any books by these authors: Andrew Clements, Gary Paulsen, Katherine Patterson, Louis Sacher, Richard Peck, Beverly Cleary, Judy Blume, Laura Ingalls Wilder, C.S. Lewis, Kate DiCamillo, and Shelley Pearsall. These authors have wonderful novels that will reach both both and girls as well.
    There are so many good books out there, it is really hard to limit to only a few. I hope this list helps! You might want to think back to your own 5th grade experience...what books did you read that really caught your attention? Read alouds are so much fun in 5th grade, especially if you love the book yourself!!

5. breneem

breneem Rookie

Jul 12, 2007

I have taught 5thgrade reading/la/ss for the last two years, and as a class, we only read novels. The last one we read is "Where the Red Fern grows". the kids love it, and love to watch the movie & compare to the book. And, happily, they always say they enjoy reading the book more:)

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

7. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Jul 12, 2007

Some reading group novels:
    The Moon Bridge
    The Westing Game
    The Red Badge of Courage graphic novel (found this on Scholastic on clearance!)
    When Aunt Lola Came to (crossed out)Visit Stay
    Bridge to Terabithia
    My Brother Sam is Dead
    Series of Unfortunate Events

I've spent this summer buying tons of nonfiction and historical fiction to really integrate social studies and language arts. I had taught 2nd grade before and a lot of my low readers in 5th grade gravitated toward the easier books like Captain Underpants and the short chapter books.

8. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jul 12, 2007

misukita, if you are not sure of the reading level for 5th grade, check out Fountas and Pinnell's book-Leveled Books. It lists 18000 books and they are leveled already for you. Depending on your student's reading levels, some titles may be too easy or too hard for them.

9. Veteran Teacher

Veteran Teacher Rookie

Jul 25, 2007

Some books my 5th graders have enjoyed are:

Bud, Not Buddy - Christoper Paul Curtis
    Holes - Louis Sacchar
    Number the Stars - Lois Lowry

10. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Jul 25, 2007

Last year my kids LOVED There's a Boy in the Girl's Bathroom.

11. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2007

Soldier's Heart (Gary Paulsen) is an amazing piece of literature about the Civil War. It can be quite graphic in places, which seems to appeal to my boys, but the girls remain riveted also. It really is a read aloud because you simply have to stop and discuss events and characterization. It leads to some wonderful classroom discussions.

12. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Jul 29, 2007

The Math Curse is my favorite...I read it to the kids and then they write their own math curse stories. (The book is about a student who wakes up and all of a sudden everything in life is a math problem. The student begins to think the teacher has put a "math curse" on her...) We have a project where the kids write their own math curse stories and create their own math problems to solve...

As far as books on my shelves for students to read, the girls really love The Babysitters Club, Nancy Drew, Number the Stars. Also ---make sure you have lots of "not girly" books for the boys. My fifth grade boys always thank me for having a classroom library with books about trucks, snakes, etc.

13. MissNikki

MissNikki Comrade

Aug 1, 2007

We use novels instead of textbooks in my district as well. Here are a few that I tend to use each year:

The Indian in the Cupboard
    The Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler
    Walk Two Moons
    Bridge to Terabithia
    The Pinballs

14. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 7, 2007

Island of the Blue Dolphins