5th Grade book club book ideas?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by yellowdaisies, Sep 1, 2014.

1. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Sep 1, 2014

I am going to start book clubs/literature circles in my 5th grade class soon. I have reading levels ranging from 3rd-7th grade. Most of my kids are in the 5th-6th grade level range. I would like to begin book clubs in the realistic fiction genre, but later move to fantasy or sci fi and historical fiction, so ideas in any genre are welcome.

So far I'm thinking:
    Hatchet (I have lots of kids who LOVE adventure stories.)
    Because of Winn Dixie (for my lower level kiddos)
    Stargirl
    Loser (we are reading Wonder as our read aloud, and Stargirl and Loser have similar themes)
    Something by Andrew Clements...?? (probably not Frindle - they may have read this.)

Any ideas are welcome, as long as they come in a paperback edition. Some of the books I considered briefly are too new and only come in hardcover - too expensive!

I am especially interested in books for the 3rd grade level kiddos. I am having trouble finding good ones for that level of 5th graders. I don't want the books to seem babyish.

Thanks! :)

3. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Sep 1, 2014

For the lower readers maybe Hank Zipzer. I did the first one in that series as a read aloud with mine the past three years and it was generally enjoyed. It's a 4.1 reading level according to scholastic so may be a bit higher than you're looking for.
    http://www.scholastic.com/teachers/book/niagara-falls-or-does-it#cart/cleanup

I haven't read them, but Andrew Clement's Jake Drake books have a third grade reading level.

We do Hoot with our lit circles, though that would be for your on level group.

Freak the Mighty and Schooled are two others we do as read alouds, but again for your on level kids.

4. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Sep 1, 2014

Here are some others to consider. Might want to check with 4th grade teachers to see that they didn't use them with your students last year.

1. Shiloh
    2. No Talking by Andrew Clements (perfect for 5th grade)
    3. Bridge to Terabithia
    4. The Wednesday Wars (This and Wonder are the best books written in the last 7 years)
    5. Indian in the Cupboard

5. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Sep 1, 2014

"Holes" has always been popular with that generalage group any time I've used it. For the lower readers, Louis Sachar's other books are usually good. Light-hearted, easier reads. I read "The Graveyard Book" with fifth graders this summer and they loved it. During student teaching last year my fifth graders read "Number the Stars" and we had some great discussions with it although it is more mature content so I'd only read it with certain groups. Some of Roald Dahl's books would be good for your lower readers without seeming babyish - "James and the Giant Peach" and "The BFG" maybe? I'm looking forward to reading "The One and Only Ivan" with a group, but I'm not sure if it's out in paperback yet or not?

6. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Sep 2, 2014

Thank you so much for all the suggestions! Lots of great books here, and many I had not thought of!

MsMar - For some reason, I'd never heard of the Jake Drake books! Those look perfect for my lower kiddos.

A couple of these (like No Talking) are ones I was thinking of, so yay, confirmation that I'm on the right track!

Unfortunately, my kids all came from different schools! We just opened 5th grade this year. Part of my challenge is finding books that enough of them haven't read.

It's not! I wish it was. I was thinking of doing it as a read aloud, but my copy has been circulating through my class - my kids LOVE it.

7. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Sep 7, 2014

I am trying to remember what books we used in my 5th grade lit circles. Some (but not all) were:
    Tuck Everlasting
    Bridge to Terabithia
    The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
    The Janitor's Boy (another Andrew Clements)
    Love that Dog
    Maniac Magee (but only with more mature classes)

8. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Sep 7, 2014

9. MissNikki

MissNikki Comrade

Sep 7, 2014

Oh gosh, there's just so many!

Historical Fiction - Anything from the I Survived series is great for lower level readers; my kids also gravitate towards the Dear America series which ranges in terms of levels.

Fantasy - Harry Potter, because few in this generation have actually read the books

Realistic Fiction - Homework Machine (pre-read for questionable language though; nothing enormous, but you know your school's expectations best; it also has a sci fi element to it); Rules

Science Fiction - Animorphs; Star Wars

Mystery - Anything by Lemony Snicket

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 7, 2014

I reserved Number the Stars for a whole-class study in which we incorporated lots of history.

Frindle by Clements
    A Wrinkle in Time by L'Engle
    Bunnicula by Howe
    My Side of the Mountain by George

11. Fairborn

Fairborn Rookie

Sep 7, 2014

There's one called Tiger Rising which is really, really good. That could be for high fourth to low six grades; I usually do a literature circle around it. I don't know where if you're in an urban area or not, nor should it matter, but there's a really good one called "Drive-By" available at Amazon. It's completely "clean" and my urban groups LOVE IT like nothing they've ever seen. They know that world! Shiloh was my world and theirs is Drive-By. Also...Seedfolks. A wonderful, wonderful book.

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 7, 2014

Oooh, I loved Tiger Rising.

13. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Sep 9, 2014

The Kid in The Red Jacket
    Bud, Not Buddy
    I Survived series