5th Grade Behavior Management

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MrsHoot, Jun 7, 2009.

1. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Jun 7, 2009

So I posted this in the 5th grade section but haven't gotten any bites. So I thought I would try here.

I'm a new teacher, got a job with 5th grade and would like to have a behavior management system in place for my students. I talked with one of the grade level teachers (who is leaving) about what she did. And she's been teaching for awhile, and really didn't have a system or need one. I feel as though I need one for me in order to be consistent and fair.

Here's one I came up with while laying in bed early this morning. =) I was thinking that I would like to have jobs for students and that they could earn classroom money for doing their jobs. They could lose money (a specified amount) for not turning/doing homework, or for not following rules. And then they could earn extra money for doing extra things like monthly challenges or doing something that shows a lot of character.

Would this be too complicated? I don't want it to interfere with learning activities, but I also think it would be good practice because they do biztown where they learn about banking and checks, etc.

I would then have something once a month (I think) where they could spend their money for lunch bunch, homework passes, sitting in the teacher's desk for the day, stuff along those lines.

Suggestions? Has anyone ever done something similar?

Thanks!

3. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jun 7, 2009

I am entering my 5th year of teaching 5th grade. You will love it! I think that your plan is great. 5th graders are over the treasure boxes and sticker charts. Do they like getting them? Some do. Do they get excited? Generally not. I am going to start the same thing, or I want to. We rotate, so we as a grade level have to agree. You could ask the bank to donate checks, to spend their money, and check registers to keep up with their money. I have a ton sitting in my closet. The only thing I would suggest is doing it once a 6 weeks. If you do it once a month then you will have some short months, like December. That might get stressful.
    Also, the thing I have found about 5th grade is that they are over bumble bees, lady bugs, etc. They want a "cool" classroom. This year I am going to have a couch and decorate it with lots of color, but I am staying away from the themes.

4. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Jun 7, 2009

Thanks for the input! A check register would be great as a way for them to balance. Once every 6 weeks would work for me. =) I'd like for them to have time to accumulate before they could spend them. A couch for the classroom would actually be a good idea, I'd definitely have enough space for a loveseat and I got a papasan sort of hot pink chair to put in the room as well.

I'm trying to think of other things that they could earn... I like the idea of it not being tangible objects so that I don't have to go out and buy things. I've come up with about 6 things, but if you have any other ideas let me know!

Also- so are you going to hand out money or checks when they earn them? Or do you just tell them you have earned however many dollars for doing this...make a note in your check register? I'm getting excited, there are a lot of different ideas you could play off of... someone could be a banker and they could get a deposit slip... lol I'll have to really think about the strategics and the time.

5. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jun 7, 2009

I had a REALLY tough group of 5th graders this year. I thought I would never make it. Three more days!! Whew! Anyway, my 5th graders loved to sit at my desk as a prize (silly, but they loved it) and also loved homework passes. To keep them quiet in the hall I often picked a 'secret person' (a # on a token) and if that secret person was quiet the whole time they would earn a point for the class (we earned class prizes every 25 points).

I really struggled with individual positive enforcement this year. I never found my grove because we block. My principal won't allow any kind of lunch bunch, and I couldn't do 'class bucks' because I don't have them all day so I would need to keep track of 2 classes. There was no way I could keep track of an economy with 43 kids my 1st year.

I was shocked at how babyish some 5th graders still are...and I don't mean that in a bad way. ALL my 5th graders secretly loved it when I would say things like, "I love how _____ is standing so still and quiet in line." Thankfully they hadn't outgrown that yet :)

You already know this, but remember to be consistent. It's so so so so much harder than it sounds :)

Well, I didn't really answer your question but I hope I helped a little!

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 7, 2009

Most of the teachers use a money system at my school. It works well for them. They run their 'store' once a marking period.

I have tried everything under the sun and I have a hard time keeping up with things.

7. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Jun 7, 2009

I am trying to figure out how to make it student center so that I am not the one balancing everyone's money. =) I read on a proteacher forum that one teacher gave a every job a salary, that's what they earned for the week. They also got a certain amount for attendance each day. They could be fined for certain things. The students had to keep track of all of this. I think they could do that, but how do you make sure students are honest about getting fined, etc?

8. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Jun 7, 2009

I don't do a money system, but I do let my fifth graders earn things. Things that my fifth graders can earn are as follows:

Homework Passes
    Sit with a friend from a different class at lunch pass
    Candy
    Skip a Test Pass (these are VERY expensive)
    Extra Hall Pass

9. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 7, 2009

I taught fifth grade last year and loved it! This is a link to my classroom management plan. IF I were to teach fifth again, I would probably modify my economic unit.

10. frogger

frogger Devotee

Jun 7, 2009

Mine liked the treasure box - and earning tickets for a drawing. Then I would draw names - it worked for most of them but then I had a few that expected to get it regardless of their behavior.

11. MissH225

MissH225 Comrade

Jun 7, 2009

The teacher I worked with (4th grade tho) had a fine jar where students would pay if they were doing something wrong or w/e. They would have to log it in the fine book.

On Friday the teacher would do an auction where kids could buy lunch w/the teacher, computer time, desk pass, or pop pass. Every few weeks she would auction other things and sell jolly ranchers(mostly for those students who never got anything). Students could also try to save up a certain amount in order to get to go the end of the 9 weeks party.

Students paid rent to the rent collector and then the two bankers (all classroom jobs) would count their leftover money and put it in the bank book. The students were responsible for knowing how much they had but the teacher obviously had the final record. It took a little bit to get the system going (we started the banking part in the middle part of the yearb/c we had an issue w/theft) but they eventually got it.

12. cinaminsweet

cinaminsweet Companion

Jun 7, 2009

I tried to do the classroom money thing before, but a big problem was the students kept accusing each other of stealing their money! I had them keep the money in their pencil pouches, and at least once a day someone would come to me and tell me that someone had taken their money. How do you keep this from happening?

13. MissH225

MissH225 Comrade

Jun 7, 2009

Turning in all money at the end of the week to the bankers. There is only so much a student could have after rent so if someone had more it was suspicious. We had problems w/theft too and started doing what I mentioned 1/2 way through the year. Also the teacher kept track of homework and fines students paid so she could tell what around what each kid should have. Though we did have any theft problems with this after implementing the banking part.

Previously kids just held on to stuff in between quarters and could have way too much money and it was hard to keep track of.

14. jd019

jd019 Companion

Jun 7, 2009

I did a classroom economy with my gifted and talented 3rd and 4th graders this year. We had three elected class officers that the students voted on. The classroom manager was in charge of issuing tickets/fines. The kids responded well to this because they elected this person knowing she would have to be fair and honest. There was a spot on my desk that she would list fines so that I would know who was being ticketed and for what offense. The Human Resource Officer, also elected, was in charge of going through job applications and assigning class jobs. I had a banker who collected all fines and passed out bi-weekly paychecks. The system worked great. I had a friday market and offered a monthly breakfast (doughnuts/juice) club that students could buy. I had an auction that was a huge hit. Students also opened their own businesses and really got into it. I simply told the banker how much to pay each person. Super easy for me.

15. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Jun 7, 2009

Well so it can be complicated. =) I think I have my system mostly figured out... but there are some kinks for me yet.

I was planning on having the students keep a register at their desks to record their own expenditures- what they get for their salary that week, minus any fines they received (which I would have a carbon copy of), and adding any bonuses they got.

I would issue them a check every other Friday which they would keep in their desks. Every 4 or 6 weeks I would have a designated time for them to spend them to redeem their checks for dollars and buy certain things. But is that going to be too far apart? I could issue them checks every Friday and have them redeem them the next friday... I don't know! I'll keep thinking.

I'm wondering if issuing them a check every Friday is going to be a lot of work though...

16. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Jun 7, 2009

Oh also, I was thinking should I let the students help me come up with jobs and their salaries? Also with different fines and their amounts?

17. Ms. T

Ms. T Rookie

Jun 8, 2009

I am on the opposite side of the fence on this method of management. I have a real problem with the idea of rewarding expected behaviors. Maybe it is my age (45), but I never expected tangible gifts for good behavior when I was in school. I was very surprised during student teaching to see my classmates bringing in stickers and candy for the children. I teach middle school 6th graders and while I definitely use verbal praise I do not give rewards. Do you think that children should be taught to expect rewards for doing the right thing? I really do not mean to offend anyone. If it works that's great but I just do not understand why this is such a widespread practice.

18. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 8, 2009

What sorts of things do you have for your students to "purchase" with their classroom money? I would like to find a way to do this without breaking the bank.

19. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jun 8, 2009

It isn't just a reward system. It is a behavior management plan. Yes, they get money for doing the right thing, but you also can lose money for not doing apprproiate behaviors.

20. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jun 8, 2009

My assistant principal did this and she created a free market economy. Students brought stuff from home to sell. Students also made things. They only did this once a semester though. Kids got in groups, set their prices, set up tables in the gym, and sold their stuff.

21. 773 Miles Away

773 Miles Away Comrade

Jun 8, 2009

Sounds like a cool idea. I'm really interested in how it goes once the year starts. Are you a first year teacher? If so, take my advice, keep things simple! The chances are you will be so inundated with planning and correcting and just craziness in general, that complex things will become a headache. So while you plan this, always keep in mind how you can simplify each step.

Also, once you implement a program you are stuck with it for the whole year - or you have to figure out a way to change it without upsetting the class.

Our school does PBIS and we give hole punches (I have a heart shaped hole punch) to a card they carry around. Every 30 punches (full card) and they turn it in to their art teacher for a prize. I even tried to simplify this!

Instead of walking around with a hole puncher ... I plan on keeping a clipboard (which I carry around anyway) with the class list on it. And if I want to give punches, I'll just announce it and make a tally. "Johnny, I am putting you down for 2 punches because you are standing in line perfectly!" Then maybe on Friday's I can just punch away.. or make it a supervised student job.

Because yes, to me, walking over to a student to physically punch their card was wasting too much of my time... lol. I'd rather just shout it out and MOVE ON haha

22. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Jun 8, 2009

Yes I am a first year teacher. I am trying to simplify it so it won't be a headache for me! I've read about how a few different teachers give all their students the responsibility. I would like to do the same.

As far as rewards to earn...

sitting in the teacher's desk for a day
    lunch in the classroom with a friend
    sitting in a certain chair for the day (or the reading couch)
    homework passes
    popcorn party (that they could earn together if they wanted)
    popsicle party
    extra free time

Stuff like that that I don't have to buy. =)

I'm thinking if I collaborate with students (possibly) OR have it all written, laid out and ready, copies all made... I will make it very student centered so that I am doing as little work as possible.

23. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jun 8, 2009

Do you have student computers? Every group of 5th graders that u get live the computers. They could earn some free time on those.

24. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 8, 2009

MrsHoot~have the students come up with some rewards as well. You can tell them that this is what you have so far, is there anything you want to take off or include.

25. 773 Miles Away

773 Miles Away Comrade

Jun 8, 2009

I like the rewards ... most are essentially Free for you. One thing I have learned this year with my 4th graders is that it really does not take a lot to impress them. They would be thrilled with an ice cream party... but they seem to be equally thrilled with 5 minutes of free time before dismissal so they can chat and draw.

My best example is during the winter when we have indoor recess. I am a first year teacher as well and I have NO games in my room... so indoor recess, I thought, would be quite boring. They have a BLAST taking blank pages and making up their own word searches or mazes and having friends solve them. So my kids don't really need fancy prizes.

I like this idea. You could have a prize be computer time during dismissal (if they wait for a bus to be called that is).

26. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jun 8, 2009

The fifth grade teachers at my school who did "classroom economy" told the kids to turn in their checkbooks one day at the end of the day. The kids didn't have any fake money; they kept their balances in a checkbook register and bought things every few Fridays. (eat in the classroom, etc.)

On that particular day, the teachers wiped out their balances. The unit on The Great Depression had begun. Some kids were furious the next day because they had been saving for something big. There were two criers.

The teachers told me that next year were going to have to e-mail the parents and prepare them ahead of time so they wouldn't get any more calls from parents like they did this year.

I believe they gave them back their balances after discussing the events of the Great Depression.

I don't know. The whole thing sometimes sounds like a good lesson in economics, and sometimes sounds like a lot of time and effort.

I have no idea what I'll do next year since I won't be teaching just my homeroom.

27. smalltowngal

Jun 8, 2009

Wow, shouldbe...what a great way to intro the Great Depression! I'm sorry about the criers.

28. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Jun 8, 2009

Ahhh! The great depression! I can't imagine the amount of parent and student complaints =) I was contemplating not doing the actual cash as well... and just having them keep running totals in their checkbook and balancing them on the days that they "buy" things or "pay" rent.

29. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jun 9, 2009

Next year will be my second year of teaching 5th grade--- I noticed that my kids really liked earning stickers on their work so I'm going to come up with a sticker reward system. Scientists earn their own medals and prizes for discoveries they make, so I'm going to go along with that idea. I'll have a chart of stickers with what the sticker is earned with at the beginning of the school year and on the inside of their science notebook we'll use 1 page where they can put all of their discovery rewards. The first one I have planned is bringing their science notebooks with it all set up and the pages numbered... then some for homework (having 5 homework assignments completed in a row, having no missing assignments in a quarter, etc), behavior, class participation, etc.

I can then make up combos of stickers--- if you earn 3 of these types of stickers you'll get a special prize. Students will work at their own pace since I know some students will be more organized than others and be better behaved than others. The focus is that by the end of the year all students have earned all the discovery rewards.

30. mustang sally

mustang sally Rookie

Jun 9, 2009

I totally agree with you--do you get candy or stickers for doing your job? Any other jobs out there get some kind of "reward"? I am old school--reward with praise--that is more in line with the rewards most folks get on their everyday jobs.

31. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Jun 9, 2009

Mustang sally... yes BUT most people get paid for their everyday jobs. And then they buy things with the money that they are paid, so people reward themselves by buying certain things.

They earn the money... and get to choose (once a monthish) how to spend that money or what to spend it on.

32. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Jun 9, 2009

When I taught fifth I used to do table points where the tables got points when the whole group worked together well and were all working well in the class. It worked well. I also had no taking away points after the points were earned.

33. **Mrs.A**

**Mrs.A** Comrade

Jun 10, 2009

This is what I plan on trying next year... This was an idea shared by another member of this forum..

One of my college professors used something similar with us as college students as a demonstration for how we could do something similar in our classroom.

Basically, he gave us little round stickers with his initials on it at random times. He said to make sure everyone gets at least one or so, and the sticker, or could be a ticket could be used to eliminate one question from a test or quiz. He was specific in the sense that each test, quiz or similar assignment designated certain questions that were not eligible for the "ticket/sticker" so we answered those questions he felt were important.

His example was if we had a math test in which we wanted students to answer around 10 questions, give 12 and allow them to choose two to not answer, or use their "ticket" for exclusion. On the day of the final exam those that had extra tickets were giving others tickets so we all only had to answer the specific amount he expected. Guess after spending so much time in a cohort you help each other?

Anyway, I have used it by buying a roll of tickets from Wal-Mart, and put a stamp and my initials on it. Students received one ticket a week, and could earn more at my discretion. My rules included (because I used this in the high school setting), a trip to the restroom, waterfountain, or 5 extra points on their lowest test grade. They had the power of choice, but in a limited form.

Just a thought, but I believe the power of choice is important and valuable. Hopefully, you will find a way you feel comfortable offering an incentive without messing with your instructional plans.

Good Luck

34. smalltowngal

Jun 10, 2009

Mrs.A~that's a great idea! And one I'm steal.....errr, borrowing. :D

35. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Jun 10, 2009

Mrs. A, that is a FANTASTIC idea! Love the idea of kids getting to "pick" a problem that they do not have to attempt----

36. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 10, 2009

Very true, Mrs. Hoot!!! I had never really thought of it like that. I reward myself when I've had a rough week or want to celebrate (usually with a new purse-my weakness or some ice cream.) While I don't think kids should be rewarded for every little thing, they do deserve well earned treats.

37. emptynest

emptynest Rookie

Jun 11, 2009

Hi, I'm a 5th grade teacher and have been for 11 years now. I haven't really used one thing for very long. I seem to change a lot. I have used beads that are handed to them as they do something good, and they put the bead in the class pot, when the pot is full, we get to have a class party. The beads are not taken away because they did earn them. Anyone in the school can give them a bead, or give ten to the whole class, but when the bead is given, the person has to tell them what they did. The person needs to be specific as the what the child or class is doing that is good! The kids respond well to this.
    I've done marbles somewhat the same way.

I like to award as soon as I can though. I feel a month is a little too long, and money is hard to handle, at least it is for me. I am already quite busy. My co-partner does a money system though and they have bankers and everything! It works well for him, but his mind works that way.