5th Grade Behavior Management

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by flowerpower31, Jul 1, 2008.

1. flowerpower31

flowerpower31 Comrade

Jul 1, 2008

I have an interview next week for a 5th grade teaching position, but all my experience is with younger grades. What are good behavior management ideas for 5th graders?

3. Eneli

Eneli Rookie

Jul 1, 2008

I spend some time going over rules, procedures, expectations, what is acceptable behavior and what is not. I have a behavior chart with color cards and as the students break rules they change their card color in addition to some other consequence (verbal warning, behavior journal, 10 minute time away from group, teacher/student conference, parent conference, etc.) I also have plenty of rewards (praises, stickers, candy, treasure box, free time, sit next to a buddy, etc.) If the student continously breaks rules, I create (with the students help) a behavior contract. Try reading the Harry Wong Book (The First Days).

4. flowerpower31

flowerpower31 Comrade

Jul 1, 2008

Okay. Thanks! I did that with my first graders and it worked pretty well. I didn't think it would work well with the older kids, though.

5. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 1, 2008

A lot of the same ideas will work with 5th graders. I give the kids (or let them make one) a monthly "something" like a leaf for Sept., a snowflake for Jan. We switch every month so their object is new and fresh. They get excited and want to keep their object on the smiley face. I have my consequences on my white board (warning, extra assignment, alternate recess, in class detention). The kids move their objects if they get in trouble. It's a visual for them and it's quick for me to document. Hope this helps! I taught younger grades and then got moved to upper grades and I love it! You will do great!

6. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 1, 2008

I taught 2nd and 3rd before moving to 6th. I did pretty much the same with all classes. They may be bigger, but their still kids. Last year my kids could earn stickers towards prizes. They loved it. They got to help decide what the prizes were. I gave a prize for every 5 stickers. I had rotating classes, so if you had any problems in a 45 min period, you didn't earn a sticker.

7. stevesgirl

stevesgirl Companion

Jul 2, 2008

My fifth graders receive a "behavior check" if they choose to break a rule. Since they switch classes, one student is in charge of a behavior clipboard that goes to every class with them. Every check means 5 minutes of lost recess and loss of one classroom "buck." Kids without any checks get $1/day. We have Fun Fridays once a month, where we do a fun activity, which cost $15.00/ticket. Only those kids with tickets can go; all others go to a quiet reading room to do school work. Most of them are able to attend, because the team makes sure that they are really fun and kids try really hard to earn the $15.00. Anything you choose will be fine, as long as you are consistent. Fifth graders can spot a wishy-washy teacher from a mile away, so make sure you don't let any broken rules go without consequences. Good luck! Fifth graders so much fun.

8. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jul 2, 2008

I do a classroom economy as my behavior management system. I began it midway through last year and it was amazing the difference in behavior I saw. Kids wanted to earn that money and participate in the whole economy. It was a lot of fun.

You can read how I set it up here: http://www.msjensenclass.com/Teacher_Resources/Teacher_Resources.htm and click on Classroom Economy.

Good luck with your interview. Fifth grade is such a blast!! :2up:

9. SnowDaisy822

SnowDaisy822 Companion

Jul 7, 2008

Katenar - I LOVE your system! I do something very, very similar, but you have some other great parts. I am going to use some of your ideas. My students love the system and look forward to payday. The mykidsbank.com site is awesome! I'm looking forward to using that this year. I was wishing there was something like that out there.

10. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jul 7, 2008

I love the mykidsbank.com. And I didn't have to do a thing except train my bankers on how to enter in people's debits and credits. The kids loved to check their balance from home and show their family. :)

11. flowerpower31

flowerpower31 Comrade

Jul 9, 2008

Thank you so much for your input, everyone! Tomorrow is my interview!

12. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jul 9, 2008

Flowerpower31-Good luck, 5th grade is great:)

Katenar-your website is wonderful! I just bookmarked it. Did you do RAD last year? Did you find that your students liked it?

13. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jul 10, 2008

Thank you Sue35!! Yes, I did do Club RAD last year and the year before that. The more I pumped it up, the more the kids would get into it. My first year, I was all about it and the kids really did love it. Last year, I was a bit more lax on it and I noticed the kids were too. I think this year, I'm going to do a Trophy and it will have 5 sides like this:

1. 1st Quarter
    2. 2nd Quarter
    3. 3rd Quarter
    4. 4th Quarter
    5. School Year

The highest scoring students will get their name engraved on the plaques. This will follow me throughout my teaching career. I think the kids will like it.

14. i_teach_5th

i_teach_5th Rookie

Jul 15, 2008

Hello,

In my classroom, as with any other 5th grade class, we have our behavior issues. I have a behavior chart of changing cards and my students know I mean business when the are asked to flip a card. I do give them a warning card if a student is rude behavior/talking/etc. I do not stop my lecture to address this student but I hand them a card about their behavior and they are to see me at their next transitional period. It gives the student a chance to think about their behavior, attitude, etc. before meeting with me. If they behavior continues, a card is flipped again which no recess time. The final warning is a parent conference/trip to the office/or phone call. The system works for me..If you would like a copy of this "card" I use to address the problem without drawing attention, send me an email and I'll fwd via email, fax, U.S. Mail to you. The card is great and very easy to understand....I'm glad I found it.