5th grade 13 colonies project???

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by luv2teach415, Oct 3, 2007.

1. luv2teach415

luv2teach415 Companion

Oct 3, 2007

My class and I are just finishing up the beginning of the 13 colonies. But I want my students to do a project because this is an important topic that they need to know. I was thinking of maybe having them do an advertisement on a piece of oak tag trying to persuade people to come to that colony. They would of course have to include details about the colony. Does that sound ok? What are some other ideas for 13 colonies projects?? Thanks

3. beff1102

beff1102 Rookie

Oct 3, 2007

We just did the poster activity. I had them create posters in groups trying to persuade poeple to come to their colony. I told them they were trying to peruade me and then I chose where I wanted to settle. They really enjoyed it and I would definately do it again.:D

4. smithf1

smithf1 Rookie

Oct 3, 2007

Poster

I did this project with my fifth graders last year. They had specific things they researched then created posters to invite people to come to the colonies. We talked about how to emphasize the positive and minimize the negativities of colonial life. The children then presented their posters to the "prospective colonists.

The classes loved the presentations and got into character when asking questions of the presenters.

5. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Oct 4, 2007

I like the idea. I may have to borrow it myself this year.