5th and 6th grade Self Contained

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by OUOhYeah, May 28, 2015.

1. OUOhYeah

OUOhYeah Comrade

May 28, 2015

I have never heard of this, but next year I will be taking both classes on in one classroom. I am wondering if teaching high vs. teaching low is a good mindset? I want to make my students learn how to write and read.

I'm also wanting any/all classroom management strategies. Please :)

3. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

May 28, 2015

Why is it self contained, that may help guide answers. I did the exact class before, but it was self contained SPED room and that changed things.

4. OUOhYeah

OUOhYeah Comrade

May 28, 2015

It is self contained because my school feels switching classes for 5th and 6th graders in an elementary school is disruptive. Also, we have a low 6th grade count therefore, we need to combine the classes.

5. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

May 28, 2015

We have self contained 5th and 6th grades. Occasionally they are a combo class.

IMO, you should have some of the higher achieving 5th graders and average 6th graders. Then push push the 6th grade standards.

6. OUOhYeah

OUOhYeah Comrade

May 28, 2015

I plan on pushing the 6th grade standards. The lower 5th graders though will be pushed too. I mean the ELA standards are the exact same in 5th and 6th grade, it's just the vocabulary in the standards change. The "verbs" I mean.

I still need some classroom management ideas for 5th and 6th grade. They don't seem to like the Responsive Classroom approach.