5th - 8th building

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by darzie, Feb 18, 2011.

1. darzie

darzie Companion

Feb 18, 2011

Our district is considering moving all 5th graders into our middle schools, making K-4 buildings and 5 - 8 buildings. Is anyone in a district that does that? If so, what are the pros/cons? Do you team teach or are they self-contained classrooms? Do you teach 6 - 8 also? I'm anxious to learn. Thanks!

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 19, 2011

I think that it depends on the size of your school. We have a 5-6 and 7-8 building but they are very close together so students tend to travel between them for sports and extracurriculars and some of our special classes.

In 5/6, we are most self-contained but work with a team of 2-4 to share students, so we team teach but have a homeroom for most of the day. In 7/8, the students switch classes so each teacher only teaches one subject and one grade. We do not teach multiple grades unless you are an art, music, etc teacher or special education teacher.

However, I know that there are districts that do have teachers teach multiple grades....

4. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 19, 2011

The elementary schools in our district used to be
    k-3, 4-6, or k-6. They just moved sixth grade in fall 2009 to the middle school so that is now a 6-8 building. All elementary school in district are now k-5. But I know that the 5th grades do swap some classes. Some teachers teach english/social studies and others teach math/science.

5. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Feb 19, 2011

My district is currently K-4, 5-8 and 9-12. The fifth grade is mostly self-contained, but team teaches science and social studies and math is flex groups. We are actually looking at options for changes due to growth in our district and right now it is looking like 5th grade will go back to the elementary schools.

6. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Feb 19, 2011

Personally I think they need to stop pushing kids to grow up so to speak. 6th grade is already in middle school, I still feel they need to stay in elementary school. No way should 5th go up to middle school too! They are still babies. I'm pretty old fashioned though. I went to a jr. high 7/8 when those still existed.

7. patsfan82

patsfan82 Rookie

Mar 1, 2011

Our building is a 5-8 middle school. I teach 5th and we team teach. The kids stay with the same homeroom but switch teachers. I teach English and Social Studies, and my teammate teaches Math and Science. In our building, 5th is pretty separated from the rest of the school- we're in our own wing.

8. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Mar 1, 2011

Eek. I'm in a 6-12, and I want the 6th graders to go back to elementary - they're still so young! They are positively terrified of the 7th and 8th graders... and when they come across a high schooler... forget it. I'm surprised they don't drop dead of sheer fear.

I think 5th graders still very much have an elementary mentality. They need that small, safe environment.

9. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Mar 2, 2011

I teach fifth in a 5-8 school and I LOVE it! My district did the same thing as yours--we used to be at the elementary school, but we were moved up to the middle school. I felt the elementary school activities, programs, and special speakers were too "young" for my fifth graders. I have found being at the middle school to be much more age appropriate.

We are very "separated" from the older grades--we hardly ever see the 7th or 8th grades so I think that helps my kids to not feel "overwhelmed" by all the big kids.

10. jocapo

jocapo Rookie

Mar 10, 2011

I live in a district that has two middle schools with 5-8 grades.
    The 5th graders are virtually in their own wing of the building. Self-contained. Teachers still walk the students to their specials. My daughter loved 5th grade.

In 6th grade, she switches for all subjects and loved the transition.

11. Mr. Fifth

Mr. Fifth Rookie

Mar 23, 2011

Our district is K-3, 4-7 and 8-12. In our Middle School runs on 2 different schedules, but we share rooms and teachers. Our 4-5 student day is 9:00-3:15 and the 6-7 student day is 7:45-2:45.
    Grades 6-7 are on teams and have a different teacher for each subject. They have two encore classes per day. Teachers have a team prep and an individual prep daily. Struggling students have only 1 Encore per day. Students in 4-5 have 3 teachers daily, 1 math, 1 LA, and 1 sci or ss. Teachers have an individual prep daily and a professional development time daily for team meetings, etc. There are 2 6th teams and 2 7th teams, each with 5 teachers. Grades 4-5 have one team and have 10 teachers per team.

It all really works very well...folks are committed and willing to do what needs to be done.