5122 FACS

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by thelyoness83, Dec 7, 2017.

1. thelyoness83

thelyoness83 Rookie

Dec 7, 2017

Hello, I have been studying for the Family and Consumer Science Praxis. My question is: how much do the Praxis and ets study guides and practice tests help? I have bought the one from ets and am using the Study Topics from the Praxis site, as well as study sets from Quizlet.
    If you've used these, how much do you feel they prepared you? (For this exam or any)

it's been 10 years since I last took a Praxis and I feel confident based on my Practice Test scores (95/120) but just wondering if I have really prepared enough.

3. thelyoness83

thelyoness83 Rookie

Dec 9, 2017

Ok just for anyone’s information: the above practice tests did help. There was some more very specific information on seeing patterns and techniques that I didn’t know. Also more questions than expected about the different federal programs, like FTC. But I got a 167 and I need at 154. I’m hoping my score doesn’t change!

futuremathsprof likes this.
  4. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Dec 9, 2017

It is extremely rare for a raw score to change when it is converted to a scaled score. I’ve only seen it happen maybe once or twice, but it was only by one point for either or both occurrences. Let me extend to you my unofficial congratulations!

5. amy2077

amy2077 Rookie

Jan 13, 2018

Where the quizlet study sets helpful

thelyoness83 likes this.
  6. amy2077

amy2077 Rookie

Mar 5, 2018

I took the praxis 5122 todday and I didn't pass my score on the screen was 148, it said that was the raw score but the computer converted it already to scale score I'm sure. There are only 120 questions so 148 isn't a possible raw score.
    The test material I studied from ETS and many Quizlets were not helpful for this particular test i took. There were some of the material, but for the most part I feel like there was a lot of material I was not prepared for. I plan to take it again in June. I am going to get a book that specifically focuses on this test.
    I have a masters degree in elem. ed. but some how can't seem to pass a PRAXIS exam. So very frustrating. If anyone has any ideas please share.....

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 5, 2018

Hugs, amy2077. How are you generally as a taker of multiple-choice tests?

8. amy2077

amy2077 Rookie

Jun 15, 2018

Terrible, I took it again June 6 score showed 160, I needed a 161 :( I had 74 correct answers, I used a formula I saw showing how to calculate the scaled score. It shows that 74 correct answers equaled 61.66666% which converts to 161.6666, but who knows there is no way to calculate really and from what I understand the score doesn't change from the unofficial to the official. I am going to pray for 1 pt. but sign up to take it again in July. I would have rather missed it by 3pts rather than 1pt!

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 16, 2018

That formula will give you an approximation, but not a very close one. Test questions inevitably vary among themselves in difficulty; the raw score doesn't reflect those differences, but the scaled score does. In addition, it's often the case that not all of the questions are counted.

When you get your official score report, look through it for diagnostics - with Praxis, this usually consists of a list of the domains or subject areas tested and the number of raw points out of total counted points that you earned in each.

To improve your test-taking chops, let me recommend working through LearningExpress's workbook Reasoning Skills Success in 20 Minutes a Day. A big-box bookstore like Barnes & Noble should either have it or easily be able to order it for you, or you might be able to find it through the local public library.

10. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Jun 16, 2018

I’ve always wondered @TeacherGroupie, is there a fixed amount of time before a new version of a test comes out or are multiple versions made and then field tested? I say this because some of my tests had trial questions and others did not.

Why is it that some test versions seem much easier to test takers than others when they all test on the same subject matter? It just seems highly improbably for a test maker to misgauge the difficulty of an entire test than just a few questions. I know it’s difficult for test makers to make every single question the same in terms of rigor, but ALL of the questions?

I’m genuinely curious what someone of your expertise thinks about this. Thank you for your time!

11. amy2077

amy2077 Rookie

Jul 1, 2018

I was 1 pt from passing. This really stinks, is it better to take the test at the beginning of the testing window or the end or in between? Does it matter? I just wondered both times i have taken it on the first day of the testing window. I think I may be studying too much. If that is possible, I have purchased so much practice testing materials. I am going to review the glossary in both FACS teacher editions and see if this will help. I wonder how many versions of the test there are? Is it possible to get the same test twice?

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 3, 2018

Scheduling during a test window doesn't matter: early or late, you should still be judged by the same standards.

Going back to the glossaries is a good idea. Use them to help you identify issues you need to research: if you don't absolutely understand a term, look it up in your favorite browser. (This is also a fine use for Wikipedia.)

In addition, get in the habit of USING the terms - of thinking in terms of the terms, if you will. Make up sentences that describe FACS-related phenomena you see in everyday life. Think about how term A is related to term B. And so on.

futuremathsprof likes this.