50th year celebration ideas needed!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by jlj, Aug 27, 2011.

1. jlj

jlj Devotee

Aug 27, 2011

Our school is celebrating 50 years this year & would like to do various things to celebrate throughout the year. We're very small & really have very little money to invest. We don't spend money to advertise our school & so would like to really promote the school in the process.
    Please share your ideas!!

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2011

How funny-- we're celebrating 25 this year and I'm on the committee.

But to be honest, the meeting was in July and I've completely forgotten what we discussed. All my books are packed away against the hurricane. Give me a few days and I'll dig them out, OK??

Right now all I can remember is the anniversary mass in September, followed by a barbecue.

4. jlj

jlj Devotee

Aug 27, 2011

Thanks Aliceacc! Stay safe through the storm.

5. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Aug 27, 2011

My last school celebrated their 50th last year.

One of the things they did was to have decade rooms. Each room was dedicated to one decade in the school's 50 years. In the rooms, they had things from that decade, like newspaper clippings, toys, and school jackets. They hung posters of famous movie stars from that era, played that decade's music, etc. The 90's room showed clips from Saved By The Bell. All of the items were donated and returned at the end of the reunion weekend. It was really cool to walk through them all.

6. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 27, 2011

Are there any faculty members or parents who are graduates from the school (or any teachers who have been there for a very long time)? I'm the yearbook advisor at my school, and we did this for the yearbook about 5 or 6 years ago. We interviewed the people about what the school was like when they went there (or when they first started teaching), and published their answers to the questions as well as their pictures from back then. It was fun reading about how much the school has changed through the years.

7. jlj

jlj Devotee

Aug 28, 2011

Yes, there are a few of us that have been there thirty-forty + years of the 50! We always have the children of former students attending and we do hear from former students that have moved, some come by to visit when in town. It's wonderful to see them and catch up on what they've done with their lives.

The decades rooms sound like fun!
    Please keep the ideas coming!

8. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Aug 28, 2011

We are celebrating 50 years this year, too. We got permission to parade up to the town square and plant 50 daffodil bulbs there (donated by a local nursery). We are having a special school mass and parish mass to celebrate. Throughout the year, we are doing things in 50s. Celebrating the 50th day of school, collecting 50 toys for the orphanage we support, aiming for $50 in the Change to Make a Change challenge, etc.