504 meeting tomorrow

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by mmswm, Apr 15, 2010.

1. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 15, 2010

I have a meeting tomorrow to update my youngest son's 504 plan. He has a 504 because he has bone tumors (benign) pretty much everywhere, and there's a few that really get in the way of learning to write.

Anyway, the reason I'm posting is to get a few more ideas on accomodations that can be realistically made in the classroom. He can write letters, but it's intensely difficult for him (and sometimes painful), and to make them neat somebody has to stand over him and watch him write every letter. I know that's not something that can be done in the classroom, but I really don't know what CAN be done. Up until this point, his teachers have just been letting him turn in horrendously messy papers. I feel that there needs to be some sort of plan in place to gradually expect more and more from him.

So, here's what's already being done:

-Since a lot of writing frustrates him, any situation where writing can be minimized, it is. For example, if he has a worksheet with a wordbank, the words are given letter choices and he just writes in the letters instead of the whole word.

-Certain assignments are reduced. For example, if the class has to write a sentence with all 10 spelling words, he only has to write words with 5

-If his frustration and/or pain gets to "shut down" stage, the teacher verbally assesses what needs to be assessed.

-The school provides the "fat" pencils (so do I, but you know how kids are), since they're easier for him to control.

He also works with an occupational therapist to help him learn writing skills.

My goal is for him to learn what he needs to and "graduate" from his 504 by the end of elementary school.

Oh, and on a side note, typing isn't a good answer. The location of the tumors on his wrists make it very painful to hold his hands over a keyboard. Yes, he'll need to learn to type eventually, but we don't want to add any more issues at this date.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 15, 2010

What about a laptop (possibly with an external keyboard in his lap) and a Bamboo Pen-and-Touch? Or speech-recognition software? Or letting him dictate his spelling responses, or take his spelling test with letter tiles and do composition with word tiles? (or, better yet, syllable tiles...)

4. bros

bros Phenom

Apr 15, 2010

Try a scribe or voice recognition software (Such as Dragon Naturally Speaking) while simultanenously teaching writing skills

5. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 15, 2010

Ohhhh, I like the idea of letter/syllable tiles....Thanks!!!!

6. gottagoodgig

gottagoodgig Companion

Apr 15, 2010

I have kids that LOVE to write in shaving cream on their tables. Would your son like this? Could he do it?

Would changing the writing surface help? White board on the wall, or on an easel, or leaning on a big binder with a big fat dry erase marker? Easy to erase the errors...

Could the teacher make a page with all the answers written, cut it up, and your son just moves the answers to the right spot?

I'm just guessing here....

Good luck to you and your sweet boy! :)

7. gottagoodgig

gottagoodgig Companion

Apr 15, 2010

Oh, I have a phonics word mat book that came with letter tile blackline masters. I made many copies and arranged them in a craft box from Wal-mart with a labeled spot for each letter. That's a more inexpensive way that actually tiles. I do have real tiles too that the kids like. There are also letter and syllable snap-cubes. I have some called "Reading Rods."

If you would like, I'd be happy to mail you copies of the paper tiles. Send me a private e-mail if you would like. No pressure....

8. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 15, 2010

Oh, all good ideas. To give you a better idea of what's going on, here's what his writing hand looks like (it was easier to get a picture while he was asleep, and for some reason I couldn't get the flash to stop going off...but you get the general idea)

[​IMG]

The tumors on his legs are actually worse, but these two on either side of his wrist give him the most trouble.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
  9. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Apr 15, 2010

Aw, the poor little guy! He is lucky to have such a great mom who cares.

As for your meeting, don't stress. I love each and every idea given here. I wish I had more to contribute.

Does he wear (or will he) braces of some sort? I'm thinking the type that people with carpal tunnel wear. At least for writing?

I'll be thinking of you both!

10. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 15, 2010

No braces. Really, the treatment is "watch and wait". The tumors tend to grow on the end of long bones, near the ephysial (growth) plates. If surgery or any other intervention is attempted, you run the risk of cracking the growth plate, thereby arresting the growth of that bone. That would be BAD. The risks are far greater than any possible benefit in 99.99999999% of the cases, so they leave them alone until after the child is (mostly) done growing.

11. Grover

Grover Cohort

Apr 15, 2010

This is definitely a case where technology can help you. Voice recognition software has come a long way and should be very helpful here.

12. bros

bros Phenom

Apr 16, 2010

I have an idea that they tried on me for a bit when I was younger - Letter stamps.

I found them to be rather bulky and hard to use with my coordination difficulties.